Pillar valve without a snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drcolyn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am planning to replace the pillar valves on my three 15 liter Faber steel tanks with T valves rather than carrying a pony bottle or spare air. If I carry the tank upside down I can easily open and close the valves separately.
I had a look at some European sites to buy the pillar valves as they all stock the M25x2 thread type.
I found a very well priced (only 55 Euros) “Speleo T valve” at Lucasdivestore.com but as far as I can see from the picture it does not have a snorkel.
The lack of a snorkel is a concern to me as I will be carrying the tank upside down and don’t want to run the risk of valve failure because of loose rust that got onto the valve seat.
Should I be worried?
The Beaver T valve (with snorkel) from diverswarehouse.co.uk cost a lot more at 87 GB pounds.

... If I carry the tank upside down I can easily open and close the valves separately.

This is how twins were set-up before these new fangled contents gauges became all the rage.

I had a look at some European sites to buy the pillar valves as they all stock the M25x2 thread type.
I found a very well priced (only 55 Euros) “Speleo T valve” at Lucasdivestore.com but as far as I can see from the picture it does not have a snorkel.
The lack of a snorkel is a concern to me as I will be carrying the tank upside down and don’t want to run the risk of valve failure because of loose rust that got onto the valve seat.
Should I be worried?
The Beaver T valve (with snorkel) from diverswarehouse.co.uk cost a lot more at 87 GB pounds.

Sounds like you get what you pay for.

Regards

Assuming you mean a debris tube, why not just email them and ask? I don't know if there's a specific EN for cylider valves but I've never bought one that didn't come with the tube as standard.

Hi All
Sorry for the confusion - yes I was referring to the dip tube/debris tube/pick up tube.
As for the the dive store with the cheapies - I mailed them twice with no response.
I had a closer look at their product pictures again and I cannot see any tube.
I tried googling the manufacturer "Speleo" - no luck
The code EN250:2000 are displayed on the valves.

Back to my main concern - how big is the risk that that rust flakes can block this tube or the valve if it does not a pick up tube?
I have seen the Beuchat Y valve has two but I cannot find a supplier that stock them with M25 thread.

Regards

Back
Top Bottom