Piranha Penetrater 220

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ludicrous Depth

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I see that Piranha has their Penetrater 220 lights on sale this weekend. Have any of you purchased one of these and if so, what are your thoughts?

Thank you for your responses

I bought one a month ago. Took it to T&C. We did four night dives and it was the 2nd brightest light on the boat. (out of about 15) - the only brighter light was a 3LED 8D-cell Princeton model.

It threw a nice even beam. One night when it was a little cloudy I could see the beam pattern clearly - it sort of a gradually spread to about 10-15' wide at about 60'. I also used it to light up stuff so my buddy could film it u/w. It's more of a blueish light than some others.

On one clear dive, someone commented that they could see by my light on the bottom everytime I checked my computer during my safety stop - I have a Gekko so no backlight. Others commented on how bright it was and I was asked where to get one.

Used the same batteries all week. So I'm only about 1/2 into the 8 hr. claimed life. The light output still seems as bright.

Well constructed also, it's a solid aluminum body that seems like it will stand up well. The connection between the lanyard and the light body hole is a little weak - it's nylon thread - why Piranha includes the free cave line.

In case you weren't aware of it, the Penetrater is actually made by Dorcy. It's their model 41-0467: Dorcy International - Flashlights, LED Flashlights

I bought mine from Piranha, they shipped fast at a better price than Dorcy Direct.

For comparison, my buddy uses a UK C4 eLed - he mentioned my light seemed brighter. And I have a SL4 eLed bought last year - this light is definitely brighter - maybe twice as bright - I compared them both on one dive.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to the Lights forum

I have the 180's. Five of them. I use two on my harness all the time, one in my car, and the other two for students who need a back up or even a primary. Great lights.

I have three P220s. Bought one and then got two more. My buddy has two as well. Great backups, great price & the service from Randy & the Piranha guys is top notch too. Their cylinder bands are also awesome

I picked up a pair of them as well and I have been nothing but pleased since I got them. Went on a murky dive and other people wuould shine on something and I would shine on the same thing and their beam disappeared. Very sturdy construction and work great as a back-up or primary light.

I second the comment on Randy, I had an issue with one of the lights when I received it and he took care of it. I was surprised how quickly he responded.:D

Let's hear a third for Randy. Great to deal with.
I purchased 6 - 180's last year for backup lights for me and 2 of my dive buddies.
We were so happy with them that when the 220's came out we all upgraded.

Great lights!

The lights are great you wont find a brighter one for the money, and Randy is also a great guy

Funny to see this thread now, I just ordered one 10 minutes ago. I've used the 180 before and was impressed, now I should have the 220 for this weekend.

I was got one of the first ones Randy shipped back in Jan this year and I am happy with it. Only thing is that it has a very narrow beam. I use one as a main for most dives, except when I dive for prawns where I need a light with a wider beam.

Agreed, Randy is a top guy and great to deal with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom