Pirate Latitudes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquaviolator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Good read inbetween dive trips. Written by Michael Crichton (Jurassic Park) was found as a complete manuscript after he passed away. Pirates of the Carribean meets Captain Kidd type of novel.

I'll second that recommendation. Great book to read on your way to/from your favorite Caribbean destination. Eastern, Lesser Antilles setting with every pirate adventure cliche' dutifully and competently included. Enjoy it - it's fun, no-brainer fiction!!!

Listened to the audio version on during some long drives - also very enjoyable and the voice-acting was entertaining. Look for it at your local library.

It was a slightly unusual book for Michael Crichton because normally he takes surreal ideas (reincarnating dinosaurs, time travel, etc.) and makes them thoroughly believable. Pirate Latitudes was an enjoyable enough read, but I didn't think that it had the same kind of punch:
the encounters with Cannibals and the Kraken at the end really seemed just tossed in there in a way that seemed almost out of place.
I also think he got his Caribbean geography a bit mixed up at points.

He was one of my very favourite authors though, and I was deeply saddened by his passing. Congo may be amongst my very favourite books.

It was a slightly unusual book for Michael Crichton because normally he takes surreal ideas (reincarnating dinosaurs, time travel, etc.) and makes them thoroughly believable. Pirate Latitudes was an enjoyable enough read, but I didn't think that it had the same kind of punch:
the encounters with Cannibals and the Kraken at the end really seemed just tossed in there in a way that seemed almost out of place.
I also think he got his Caribbean geography a bit mixed up at points.

He was one of my very favourite authors though, and I was deeply saddened by his passing. Congo may be amongst my very favourite books.

Reading Jurassic Park in the 8th grade is what actually got me into reading books for fun.
I agree that was different from pretty much all the other Crichton books I've ever read. If I remember correctly this book, and one other were found unfinished on his computer after he passed away.

I found it just an OK read. I’ve read several of Michael Chrichton’s novels. If I were a betting man and it could be proved, I would wager he did not write it. It just didn’t have the same level of detail and imagination I’ve come to expect. I don’t even remember one “dismissive wave.” J

I've read all of Crichton's books and found this one lacking a bit. Maybe that's why it wasn't published while he was alive. I aws kind of bugged that he introduced a sea monster but never really explained it or resolved it's presence in the story line. I thought it was a great opportunity for a sub-plot or perhaps even a future novel of it's own.

Underdoc

Finished reading it last week. Actually I started it a month ago, but couldn't get past the first 20 pages. Returned it to the library and read another book. Then I picked it up again, stalled early on but once it got going (about page 50) I enjoyed it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom