Pirate Latitudes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

co-worker gave it to me thinking I might enjoy it. I did. A nice diversion and a pretty good yarn.

The whole novel was paced like a series of short episodes, like he intended to publish it as a serial or was just writing it for fun, not publication. By the time he got to the end (or whoever helped him "finish" it), they wrapped the whole story too quickly and neatly for my tastes.

If you're looking for a fun "pirate" read, I'd suggest "The Pirate Hunter : The True Story of Captain Kidd" by Richard Zacks (if you like non-fiction) or "Captain Blood" by Rafael Sabatini (the latter of which is much better than the movie with Errol Flynn). Oh, and how could I forget the original "On Stranger Tides" by Tim Powers (hope POTC 4 doesn't bastardize the story too much).

The whole novel was paced like a series of short episodes, like he intended to publish it as a serial or was just writing it for fun, not publication. By the time he got to the end (or whoever helped him "finish" it), they wrapped the whole story too quickly and neatly for my tastes.

If you're looking for a fun "pirate" read, I'd suggest "The Pirate Hunter : The True Story of Captain Kidd" by Richard Zacks (if you like non-fiction) or "Captain Blood" by Rafael Sabatini (the latter of which is much better than the movie with Errol Flynn). Oh, and how could I forget the original "On Stranger Tides" by Tim Powers (hope POTC 4 doesn't bastardize the story too much).

You never know this might be the next Pirates of the Caribbean movie! :eyebrow:

The Tim powers book is hard to find im going to order it from Amazon. And maby with the new movie coming out it will see print again.

I thought it was a tad disjointed compared to his other books...my guess is that it was the first or second pass at a story :idk: or maybe just notes for something much bigger...it was a tough read...but I'm considering giving it a second go....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom