Pirates take American yacht...what to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This may be a job for The Oregon files :wink:. If not, then Dirk Pitt or Kurt Austin will do just fine.

EDIT....dmoore beat me to it.

It's nice to win once in a while.:rofl3::rofl3:
Around here that's pretty tough to do!

Juan and the Oregon were hanging out around Somalia in the book Corsair if I recall correctly. It wouldn't take him long to get there and straighten things out.

Since Somalia and the other pirate havens don't have air defense systems, may it's time we simply destroyed the harbor facilities.

Not Dirk Pitt. Juan Cabrillo and the Oregon. Fast, master of disguise well armed, all the tech gadgets needed.

Yeah...I gotta agree. Oregon sounds good.

I would bet that they are in a sniper's sights now. Sniper is thinking "please, oh please, please!" Waiting on "go" from POTUS.

However from the pirate's point of view....it is worth the risk when life is not worth much :depressed:

Get the hostages back even if we have to pay the ransom. Do it with all the counterfeit money that has been seized. Then send in a cruiser with Tomahawks and get rid of the pirates once and for all with surgical extreme prejudice strikes. Or just drop a couple daisy cutters on em.

If the pirates haven't been weeded out, or taken out it's more than likely because they suit someones purposes within some level of government, somewhere. As Jim suggested, all it would take is a pile of counterfeit cash, or salted gold to pay a ransom, with a tracking device to find out where their base of operations are, and a few well placed tactical strikes with either S.E.A.L.s or tomahawks, and the problem simply start to thin out. Especially when you start taking out the vessels they are using as motherships. But if the government hasnt figured out such an admittedly simplistic method of taking out the problem at its root level, then that tells me there is a higher purpose for those pirates to remain in existence. My thinking is in this scenario, that they allow the pirates to function, so they can funnel shipping traffic within certain designated areas, which lowers the surface area they have to patrol and search.

My vote is Dirk Pitt, or one Platoon from S.E.A.L Team 10. Because one Dirk Pitt equals one SEAL team...I'm jus' sayin'.

The first thing you do is to deny insurance coverage to any vessel that is taken by pirates. No insurance from Lloyds, not much further use for the vessel. It will get the owner's attention.

Second, do not pay any ransoms and make it a criminal offense to do so. The hostages can explain to the pirates that it is a tough sell to get someone to help if they are going to spend a lot of prison time for doing so.

Third, fit an amphibious assault ship with Apaches and systematically take out any boat capable of carrying a squad of pirates. Call it 7m or larger and make it a free fire zone so we are not concerned with civilian casualties. Yes, that means all the fishing trawlers.

Fourth, mandatory life sentence for any person convicted of piracy. Work out a nice treaty with Russia where they house the Somali's in a very cold place. My choice would be Magnitogorsk, a true frozen hell on earth. Force the prisoners to write home regarding their prison (that's an easy one, just open the window). The pirates we kill, drop the body from a couple hundred feet into a town square or market (proper labeling is required). That should deter all but the most determined spirits from attempting a "get rich quick scheme".

A nice brutal and direct approach to dealing with piracy in that part of the world. Not a chance of it being implemented.

The first thing you do is to deny insurance coverage to any vessel that is taken by pirates. No insurance from Lloyds, not much further use for the vessel. It will get the owner's attention.

Second, do not pay any ransoms and make it a criminal offense to do so. The hostages can explain to the pirates that it is a tough sell to get someone to help if they are going to spend a lot of prison time for doing so.

Third, fit an amphibious assault ship with Apaches and systematically take out any boat capable of carrying a squad of pirates. Call it 7m or larger and make it a free fire zone so we are not concerned with civilian casualties. Yes, that means all the fishing trawlers.

Fourth, mandatory life sentence for any person convicted of piracy. Work out a nice treaty with Russia where they house the Somali's in a very cold place. My choice would be Magnitogorsk, a true frozen hell on earth. Force the prisoners to write home regarding their prison (that's an easy one, just open the window). The pirates we kill, drop the body from a couple hundred feet into a town square or market (proper labeling is required). That should deter all but the most determined spirits from attempting a "get rich quick scheme".

A nice brutal and direct approach to dealing with piracy in that part of the world. Not a chance of it being implemented.

Juan Cabrillo could launch an apache from the deck of the Oregon.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom