Planning to stay at Casa Mexicana, what are my dive op options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LWith58

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are planning a trip for Jan 05, and are seriously considering staying at the Casa Mexicana Hotel. I can’t seem to find much information sensible options for diving out of the Casa. I realize that there are several dive operators on the island. I’m just trying to get some suggestions on which op makes the most sense to dive with while staying at the Casa.

Some considerations would be nearby pickup, gear storage and we are 4 divers with novice – intermediate experience.

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Lee

LWith58:
We are planning a trip for Jan 05, and are seriously considering staying at the Casa Mexicana Hotel. I can’t seem to find much information sensible options for diving out of the Casa. I realize that there are several dive operators on the island. I’m just trying to get some suggestions on which op makes the most sense to dive with while staying at the Casa.

Some considerations would be nearby pickup, gear storage and we are 4 divers with novice – intermediate experience.

Thanks.
Lee

Lee

Staying at CM for 10 days starting this week. Dive Op will be Dive with Martin. They are going to pick us up at Plaza La Glorias pier which is about 2 blocks away if I remember correctly. CM does not have a pier nor are they on the beach. They are across the street from beach about a block from Punta Langosta, the mall. Many operators will pick you up in that general area. We ususally stay at FA but decided to try something new. Send me a PM and I will let you know how it goes when we get back.

I have used Deep Blue (www.deepbluecozumel.com) a few times and have been very pleased. Sandro was our DM, he pointed out 100's of creatures and features. If you feel like doing a day of Cenote dives on the mainland, I'd love to help you out :).

Dennis

We just stayed at CM and we dove with Blue XT Sea and had a wonderful time, April 24th through May 1st.

On our next trip we will be staying at CM and diving with Blue XT Sea. www.bluextseadiving.com

Check with Christi, the owner of Blue XT SEA I think she will be able to accommodate divers with novice – intermediate experience. She and all her staff are great to work with.

The dive boat picked us up at Plaza La Glorias pier which I would say it is about 3/4 to a mile from south from CM or a $3.00 taxi ride one way. We walked part of the time and we took a taxi after going to the store next across the Street from PLG.

Check with Christi, as she may have a pier located closer to downtown available soon.

Christi meets with you and picks your dive equipment the night before your first dive at your hotel.

After diving your dive equipment is washed each day, stored and the returned to the boat the next day ready for you. So no need to carry all your equipment to and from the pier and try to wash and dry it each day at the hotel.

The only thing you take care of is your own thermal protection (skin, wet suit etc).

PM me if you have further questions.

Have a Great Time in Cozumel.

LWith58:

Thanks.
Lee

If convenience is a factor for you then you'll want to stick with one of the many operators that pick up clients there downtown at the Aldora pier. In fact, as you contact operators whilst doing your research ~ ask them if they can pick up at Aldora pier. If not....move on to another for there are many who can [including Aldora Divers obviously]

If convenience is only one element of your decision and you don't mind walking a few blocks to get to one of the operators recommended by others then find out if these operators can pick you up at Barracuda pier [most can] ~ for this is the NEXT closest pier to Casa Mexicana. Beyond those 2 piers you're approaching a 1/2 mile + of a walk just to get to a pier.

Have fun and enjoy your time in Cozumel!!

LWith58:

Thanks.
Lee
Hi Lee,
I usually don't add my comments when appropriate info has been posted in response to an inquiry for info, HOWEVER, I strongly feel you're being misinformed. Hopefully not by intent.

I have about 16 trips to Cozumel and have had to good fortune of staying at Casa Mexicana on several of these trips. The closest dive operator is AQUA SAFARI, probably the oldest, most reputable dive operator on the island. Their location: 50 feet from bottm of the escalators at Casa Mexicana to the front door of AQUA SAFARI. I can't say enough about Bill Horn and his staff at AQUA SAFARI. Their pier is located directly across the street. Inside their secure location they have an excellent storage facility for your gear including a fresh water trough for the daily soaking/rinsing
of your gear, if you so desire. Their Dive Masters are some of the best on the island and their boats are the pride of the fleet of Cozumel. Fresh water, fruits and or sanwiches are complimentary, plentiful and absolutely delicious for between dives. They require you fill a form stating your divng experience and factor this in to assure your diving safety.

Safe diving,

with Delta 1/5. My husband & I stayed at the Casa Mexicana last October and dove with AquaSafari. The staff was most excellent and were really great at finding the "critters" for those taking pictures. We're going back in July and will be diving with them again. Have fun and dive safe!

and also tends to cattleboat. They also tend to enforce very conservative dive profiles and are not tolerant of computer diving. If you are a novice-to-early-intermediate diver who doesn't want computer-based freedom and who doesn't mind diving with a mixed crowd, then you may find Aqua Safari perfectly fine for your needs.

I am leaving in 11 days for my 38th trip to Coz and long ago decided AS is not for me any more. But I am now an "antiquarian flatulent" who, after something like 3000 dives over 27 years of diving, I am somewhat crochety and prefer premium dive ops like Blue XT~Sea, Liquid Blue, Aldora, etc. that let me do my thing.

Last Thanksgiving with Liquid Blue, I was able to dive all of Palancar on one 120 cf tank. Max depth 80 ft., bottom time 2 hours, 25 minutes. I also squeezed in 26 dives at 3-4 per day with an average per dive bottom time well over an hour. You won't get that with Aqua Safari, but, of course, you may not want that kind of diving.

<')///><

In view of receiving a disgruntled private message from Delta 1/5, I would like to add clarification to my previous post. Casa Mexicana is so centrally located downtown that there are many dive shops nearby including but not limited to Aqua Safari. Casa Mexicana sits on Melgar between Calles 5 & 7 and as a result enjoys being close to the dive shops on Melgar {Aqua Safari] as well as those on Calles 5 {Aldora Divers, Diving Adventures & others} and Calle 7 {Cha Cha Cha and others} It was not my intention to provide misinformation.
As a guest as Casa Mexciana you will be able to preview many diving options nearby prior to making your decision. Good luck and enjoy your time in Cozumel!

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your input. I wasn't trying to start a controversy, just knowing that the Casa did not have an on site Op I was looking to find out which Op’s would likely pick us up nearby and store our gear, not trying to see which was better than the other for any other reasons.

This obviously will be out first trip to Coz, I’m finding it unusual that you can stay at resorts with an in-site Op and dive with a different Op from their pier. We have never had this experience at other islands, I think its great it opens, up your options. I got to tell you that my head is spinning trying to decide on a resort and an Op, there are so many different types of resorts and locations and Ops its tough to choose. Not a bad problem to have, its always good to have options.

Anyway we are planning for next January and we will try to pin it down over the next few weeks.

Thanks again,
Lee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom