Plates designed for Single Tanks ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are still some of us new ppl to diving who consider putting together a bpw setup. I am one of them.

I am just starting to buy my gear and ended up going with one of the freedom contour plates can't wait to get it in

I agree that most new divers will probably not go this route as they don't know much if anything about bpw setups but it does happen with some

The biggest reason for not going with them is e lack of knowledge that this kind of setup exists and can work for rec diving since most shops will push regular bc's and that is also what they are trained with

Hi Couv,

To answer your question, Yes I do have plates available.

The new diver market is tricky one.
I've had friends who got into diving knowing that I am a long time diver and they would ask me advice on training and gear etc.
They must figure they have an inside on the sport knowing me, which is true, I could definitely help them with gear and knowledge on where to get what and kind of take them under the wing so to speak.
So they go to the LDS for the training. We have a discussion beforehand, I tell them buy your mask and snorkel and rent the rest, get certified at least now, we will figure out the rest of the gear later.
I even have gear they can use until they can piece gear together.

So when they are done with OW I see them and they are sporting all new gear including a poodle jacket and a bunch of crap they don't need which the dive shop sold them. The shops and instructors must have a hell of a lot of mental power over people!
OK fine, I don't say anything, it's their money and they are proud. I don't want to ruin their moment.
6 months later after they have been diving for a while and we have done a few dives they decide to take my advice and try a plate and start to listen about other stuff. Next thing you know they are selling all the crap the dive shop sold them for pennies on the dollar and they're redoing all their gear. They're all pissed off at the dive shop and all the money they've blown.
This scenario is a broken record.
New divers are very vulnerable to suggestion by people they see as "proffessionals".
All a dive shop needs to tell them is that 'they' are the pros, and a guy like me is not.
"Nobody uses those PB/W things, look around the store, what do you see?".
New divers think BP/W are too simple so they are not getting as much for their money as opposed to a frilly and fancy looking Jacket.

One reason I don't sell complete units anymore is because I don't necessarily want to be in the dive business to that degree. Reselling stuff means that I would have to deal with returns, repairs, setup, training, etc. and all the other stuff that goes with the territory of reselling soft goods. And also getting into stocking wings, harnesses, cambands, etc. is quite an investment. When things slow down the stuff sits around.
I am happy selling to divers who know what they want and know how to set it up and use it. The plate is a single component, nothing to assemble, nothing to lose, nothing to get confused about. It makes it extremely easy.
Perhaps if I was an instructor and could train new divers from the get go with the minimalist method, but for now I'm just going to sell plates.

Hi Eric,

I'm a proud owner of a Freedom Plate, but like most folks who are using a metal plate it was not part of my first kit. Quite frankly they weren't around in the stone ages. If one looks at it in today's sales environment, not many newbies are going to consider putting a plate, wing, and harness together. IMHO as a former tank monkey, if you want to sell to the new diver market, you should investigate putting a package together that a beginner can readily compare to a poodle jacket setup. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with folks who discover your product after they have already invested in an inferior and more expensive setup.

Question. Do you currently have plates for sale?

Couv

Last edited:
I wanted a setup as small and light as possible for travel. I ended up with a DeepSeaSupply TTW17 with the Oxycheq Ultra plate. The DSS wing is totally flat when deflated which is one of the reasons I chose it over the Oxycheq 18.

Hoping I can ask a question after all this time ...

I'm looking for an extremely lightweight travel setup and have been considering the same set up you mentioned here: The DSS Torus17 and Oxycheq ultra lite backplate.

How are they to dive with compared to a more traditional BPW set up? I currently use a DSS SS plate with a DSS T26 wing but need to find a lightweight solution for frequent travelling.
Are there any extra parts or special harness/sexbolts needed to fit the DSS wing to the Oxycheq plate? I had planned a simple soft webbing, HOG harness with a couple of D-Rings.

Thanks

Hoping I can ask a question after all this time ...

I'm looking for an extremely lightweight travel setup and have been considering the same set up you mentioned here: The DSS Torus17 and Oxycheq ultra lite backplate.

How are they to dive with compared to a more traditional BPW set up? I currently use a DSS SS plate with a DSS T26 wing but need to find a lightweight solution for frequent travelling.
Are there any extra parts or special harness/sexbolts needed to fit the DSS wing to the Oxycheq plate? I had planned a simple soft webbing, HOG harness with a couple of D-Rings.

Thanks
It dives similar. A little less stable with big steel tanks. Al 80 it feels the same.

They say you don't need to attach the wing to the plate, but i used sex bolts anyway.

My wife doesn't use a crotch strap, but i do. I like how it keeps everything close and secured down.

Thanks ronscuba!! Time to figure out how to get one in the UK now.

If you already dive DSS stuff then you probably know that Tobin has a lightweight Kydex plate as well. I don't own, nor have I dived one but I have held one in my hand and it looks like typical DSS quality. May be a pound or two heavier than the Oxycheq travel plate. I have two of the latter and they are a little floppy when it comes to securing the tank. I still like them but if I had to do it over again, I would probably go DSS.

I do notice my Oxycheq softplate does not hold big steel 120 tanks as stable as my aluminum backplate. For aluminum 80 tanks, I don't notice much difference.

I mainly use my Oxy softplate. It packs smaller is lighter and I don't have to worry about a hard metal plate pinching the wing.

IMHO, for backmount single tank diving, the most comfortable setup is the freedom plate. I've had 2 different models, both were nice, but my favorite is the one with the bolted tank stabilizer. I sandwich my wing in between the plate and the stabilizer so nothing moves.
IMG_2159.jpg

Being made of stainless, there are lighter options like the Oxycheq softplate. They are pretty good but will never be as stable as a solid plate.

If you want the stability of a solid backplate, there are the DSS kydex plates, a few different aluminium plates and my favorite a small plate made by a guy in australia. Made with rails for the tank, so no STA are needed. Being rigid it is very stable, and puts the tank as close as possible to your back. It weights around 600grams. http://www.huwporter.com/scuba/hplate_mk2.htmlhplate_harness_back.jpg

I used both plates with an oxycheq extreme 18# wing. It's super streamlined, with the small plates looking from the front you don't even see the wing.

Unfortunately, both plates are not made anymore. I bought the last plate from australia and both my freedom plates were bought used here on scubaboard.

As I don't really dive single tank anymore, I've already sold my first freedom plate, and might sell both plates and wing I have left shortly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom