PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did I mention that SAR does not charge?
That's interesting, I've been charged for extraction before. It's not cheap. And that was just the "R" without the "S".
I guess it's region- and country-specific. I can pretty much guarantee you that if you're lost at sea here, or need a rescue of any kind, the bill you receive will be exactly 0.00 USD

That's interesting, I've been charged for extraction before. It's not cheap. And that was just the "R" without the "S".
I don't know anything about your rescue. SAR generally does not charge, and SAR insurance does not pay when there is no charge.

Did I mention that SAR does not charge?
Not to sound crass, but what was the money raised for Cameron's search for again?

If not for Search And Rescue...

Not to sound crass, but what was the money raised for Cameron's search for again?

If not for Search And Rescue...
Efforts before & beyond available resources. Those were extra efforts. Still no charge from SAR, so SAR insurance would not have paid if he had any. DAN tacked SAR insurance onto their highest dive insurance plan available only in some states, but it's essentially worthless in most countries as it says it will not pay if not charges.

He had mentioned getting a PLB a few years ago, and shore diving the north part of the island there would make it a really good idea with those currents. I was looking forward to razzing him about that after rescue, but sadly - no joy.

I got my PLB back from battery service yesterday! That was a nice 7 day turn around from the day I mailed it off. Already had my NOAA renewal sticker that came in the mail a few days ago.

DAN tacked SAR insurance onto their highest dive insurance plan available only in some states, but it's essentially worthless in most countries as it says it will not pay if not charges.
Odd statement! If there is no charge, then it is simply unneeded...not worthless. Its value only shows up for SAR is some places (do we have a list of those?), which also holds down its price, since it is not needed everywhere.

Efforts before & beyond available resources. Those were extra efforts. Still no charge from SAR, so SAR insurance would not have paid if he had any. DAN tacked SAR insurance onto their highest dive insurance plan available only in some states, but it's essentially worthless in most countries as it says it will not pay if not charges.

He had mentioned getting a PLB a few years ago, and shore diving the north part of the island there would make it a really good idea with those currents. I was looking forward to razzing him about that after rescue, but sadly - no joy.

I got my PLB back from battery service yesterday! That was a nice 7 day turn around from the day I mailed it off. Already had my NOAA renewal sticker that came in the mail a few days ago.
I'm not trying to pick your argument apart, I'm not.

But what is above and beyond in Sar? Is that the bare expectation that the host country will have air and sea assets to conduct immediate actions?

I'm not even talking in remote countries where the infrastructure doesn't exist. In those countries I would assume you would have to pay out of pocket for nearly everything...

Odd statement! If there is no charge, then it is simply unneeded...not worthless.
Well, when they use it as a selling tool, yet unneeded - it seems to have no value to me. Opinions vary.

But what is above and beyond in Sar? Is that the bare expectation that the host country will have air and sea assets to conduct immediate actions?
We contributed to launch as many search planes as possible before the local SAR could take action. That's about as much as I can say. You'd have to ask them for more details if you contributed and now wonder why.

I'm not even talking in remote countries where the infrastructure doesn't exist. In those countries I would assume you would have to pay out of pocket for nearly everything...
Successful SAR requires not only trained people flying helos and driving boats but an overall command and control directing these efforts, communicating with international agencies and receiving data from satellites.

While you could pay for (untrained/inexperienced) pilots and (inadequate) aircrafts to search for someone you will never ever be able to make up for an inexisting C2 infrastructure ...

When you do your risk analysis these factor should be taken into the account.

I ass-u-me private boats & airplanes including fuel that Bonnie had hired for the search efforts, in addition to Mexico SAR?

Well, when they use it as a selling tool, yet unneeded - it seems to have no value to me. Opinions vary.

We contributed to launch as many search planes as possible before the local SAR could take action. That's about as much as I can say. You'd have to ask them for more details if you contributed and now wonder why.
I do not wonder why. I merely asked a question and the most recent case happens to be Cameron's disappearance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom