PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It might be good for things that are IP67 or IP68, but not to 22m?

What are IP67 and IP68?

If the device is waterproof rated to 22m and the case is only partially flooded, then you are OK. Once the case is completely flooded at depth deeper than 22m, than that’s bad. As long as there are air in the case, the air is compressible so it’ll be compressed by the ambient water pressure. The air would bubbles out of the case and displaced by the water. Once there is no more air bubbles inside the case, then the water pressure would be equaled to the ambient pressure. That is bad if the ambient pressure is higher than the rated pressure.

I think the low waterproof rating of PLB1 (50’) depth is due to the seal leak through the external winding antenna. Nautilus Lifeline is waterproof rated much higher (400’) is because the winding antenna is under a sealed cap.

Nautilus Lifeline is waterproof rated much higher (400’) is because the winding antenna is under a sealed cap.

Although, one of my buddies, just yesterday, had to throw away his 2nd nautilus, in 2 years, because of the caps leaking, on both of them. They each only lasted maybe 100 dives...He now refers to them as "POS" :D

My POS is still doing fine. So does my 11 years old Sea & Sea DX2G camera case taken to underwater in over 700 times. Preventive maintenance is the key. I unlatch the cap to keep the o-ring to stay round between trips, clean the grooves and lube the o-ring before the next trip.

What are IP67 and IP68?

If the device is waterproof rated to 22m and the case is only partially flooded, then you are OK. Once the case is completely flooded at depth deeper than 22m, than that’s bad. As long as there are air in the case, the air is compressible so it’ll be compressed by the ambient water pressure. The air would bubbles out of the case and displaced by the water. Once there is no more air bubbles inside the case, then the water pressure would be equaled to the ambient pressure. That is bad if the ambient pressure is higher than the rated pressure.

I think the low waterproof rating of PLB1 (50’) depth is due to the seal leak through the external winding antenna. Nautilus Lifeline is waterproof rated much higher (400’) is because the winding antenna is under a sealed cap.

IP67 and IP68 are 1m and 1.5m submersion for 30 min.

Google sealife reefmaster eBay.

Rated to 50m. Clear plastic housing (some have an extra yellow plastic skin). Dual clamp closure.

Not bad. But its dimensions: 5.5 x 3.5 x 5.5 inches are bigger than my old $10 40m rated Sony camera case of 2.0 x 1.25 x 4.25 inches,

F52799A5-6D5E-4D38-914B-4D74E5675F96.jpeg

I picked this up for Songkran, New Year's in Thailand.
Cute, unless you dive below one foot deep.

That's the one I've carried for a few years now. Get the smaller choice. Internal Dimensions: Large 70mm x 150mm; Small 70mm x 130mm

@DandyDon Why do you recommend the smaller choice. It would seem that you could utilize the extra space (don't know how much extra there is) to carry something vital. Or is it just wasted space?

Cheers -

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom