PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is a MRG in this PLB discussion? o_O

I’m really surprised that with all the high tech diving equipment out there, specifically for tech diving, that there is not an easier solution for this.
You mean a PLB that would be fine at depth without a canister? I don't think there is enough demand. Divers ask for it, but divers actually lined up with money destined to buy are the short line. Like CO tank testers. We got lots of discussion going, acknowledged the need, Analox created a wonderful one that can be calibrated in the boat rather than being sent to a lab, but price shock killed it.

What we need is for a manufacturer to make a canister for their device.
Again, not enough demand. ACR has a trophy wall of used PLBs that saved people, acquired from their free exchange program, and pages of stories on their site - but not so much from divers. Get enough divers actually willing to spend the money, and then yeah, maybe.

Alrighty, after way too much time spent hunting, we found these, which we are going to try.

CANISTER for PLB: SCUBA Diver Emergency Locator Beacon/VHF Marine Radio. | eBay
That's the one I've carried for a few years now. Get the smaller choice. Internal Dimensions: Large 70mm x 150mm; Small 70mm x 130mm

I used a key ring to attach it to a bolt snap to clip to a D ring on my BC. Marine quality stainless steel is the best choice. Use silicone grease to lube the o-ring as needed, replace the o-ring every year or two, buy the o-rings from hdvseatek@gmail.com if you can't find them locally.

I rented one a time or two years ago. Heavy to carry to the boat, etc. They were expensive, but now discontinued. If you buy a used one, replace the o-ring.

I don't know how much it went for on eBay, but this is the manufacturer's website: HDVSEATEK.
Approximately US $72.75 + approx. US $24.25 = $97

People complain a lot about inconsequential issues. Every dive light will eventually flood and every camera housing will eventually flood if the o rings aren't perfect or serviced.

The dynamics of keeping water out of a large screwed together plastic canister is much different than a small diameter metal light. Nevertheless, an ounce of water can ruin your camera or light, whereas an ounce of water will have no ill effect on a PLB that is waterproof to 30 feet. Furthermore, a PLB like the ResQLink will handle far more pressure, but the problem is the buttons will depress if it's not in a canister.

It happened to me with leaky soft case about 100’ depth. Apparently it wasn’t long enough time for the small water leak to pressurize the air space inside the case to more than 22 psig (the pressure equivalent of what PLB1 is waterproof rated at 50’ depth). I got about half full of water in the case when I got back to the boat. My PLB1 still works fine.

The same thing happened with my GoPro 6. When I saw water leaking into the clear case as I descent to 70’ depth. I thumbed the dive and went back to the boat. The GoPro 6 survived.

That’s the reason I want to have a clear case so I can see what’s going on inside the case while underwater.

With black canister, you’ll never know whether water is leaking into the cavity. Once all the air is displaced by the leaking water and pressurized the cavity with water beyond the waterproof rated depth, all bets are off on whether you can recover the PLB from water damage.

I picked this up for Songkran, New Year's in Thailand. The whole country becomes a free for all water fight. It's meant to keep your mobile dry, with triple Ziploc seals, rolled, then kept closed with Velcro. I took it empty down to 22m, just to see how well it would do. Only a few drops of water entered. It costs 20 baht, or about $0.66 USD. Heheh...

IMG_20190506_1215277.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom