Please advise on Philippine locations that meet these criteria:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really appreciate all the replies to this thread. I had originally planned to show up in the philippines toward the end of September and stay into November, thinking the worst of the rainy season would be past but I would be able to avoid high season and colder water. But it seems many commenters suggest March- June. Are diving/snorkeling conditions really that much better March-June?

The weather is much drier March-June, and the viz tends to be better. In Nov we start to see the plankton blooms and the viz drops until March.

Way back, my first dives here were in Jan/Feb. Coming from the West Coast US, I was truly amazed by the great visibility, yet all of the DMs kept apologizing for the poor viz. I was a little confused....until March... Then it all made sense... We're talking Crystal Clear... Stunningly clear. I still really enjoy "winter" diving here, it's all fantastic...but for a first time visit, yeah, I recommend Summer, but I wouldn't hesitate to dive here any time of year, weather permitting.

Definitely Puerto Galera —Sabang Beach. I came back from a 6-month trip there in January and plan on moving there for 1-2 years this coming year. It fits everything you’ve described, and it’s all walking distance... and the diving is 5-15 minutes from the shore.

Hi Scubabackpacker

Got your message.

September to November is a great time to visit the Visayas and Malapascua . . . unless it isn't. ;-). Mostly we have good weather and fewer divers at this time so certainly not mass tourism. But October and November can be months when pesky typhoons that usually veer north decide to head straight into the Visayas. But these are statistically rare events.

It would not stop me planning trips at this time but a tip might be to maintain some flexibility and if a weather event is heading to Central Visayas go dive Dauin or similar. If one heads to Mindanao then be flexible to head up to Malapascua or similar.

Around Malapascua:

Water temp will be 29C
Land temp will be 26C to 33C depending but warm either way
Marine life is full steam ahead.

Absolutely plan a trip at this time, just remain open to flipping destinations if needed. Most people do not need to.

Back
Top Bottom