PLEASE: Don't dive without DAN insurance AND the cheapest plan is the Wrong one!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know much about how other countries are about medical expenses, emergency flights, etc and as I said "Specifics about other regions organizations and plans would probably be best discussed on local forums."

:confused: Huh? They are non-divers but you enrolled them as members for the TravelAssist benefit?

DandyDon,

Just as Tom explained, I got it for the potential of needing to get us all somewhere in the event one of us (most likely me) gets a serious injury. My daughter and wife also snorkel when I'm diving/snorkeling and I'm still trying to get them both diving. I figured the added benefit of membership was worth the few extra dollars, just like going from the standard plan to the master plan. Tom's example is almost exactly what I was thinking of when I decided to add the whole family to the plan.

I've had the Master Plan for years (1986). I won't go anywhere without it. Thankfully, I've never used it, but it I like having it for diving or even traveling outside my area. I have their Term life too, which will pay my dependant the rate I chose to buy, and 12.5K extra if I was killed in a SCUBA accident.

I've been on the Master Plan since I started diving and as my sons got certified I made sure they were on the Master Plan too. When I got certified my the shop I was certified through really pushed getting coverage and why. They gave us some Dan fliers and also told us about Dive Assure. I consider it part of my scuba gear.

I think it is really location dependent as you've indicated.

Just as an fyi diving related injuries are covered by Medicare in Australia (i.e. the universal health coverage) though ambulance cover is not but that is cheap. I think locally to me it is only important to have cover if you are planning to go overseas.

That being said, I have the mid range cover but next year, as I am going to the US, I will take out top coverage...

Very location dependent. For a non teaching standard diver in the UK there's no point what so ever carrying insurance if you just want to dive in the UK as SAR, chamber, medical costs etc are all covered on the NHS.

Very location dependent. For a non teaching standard diver in the UK there's no point what so ever carrying insurance if you just want to dive in the UK as SAR, chamber, medical costs etc are all covered on the NHS.

Yea and I don't think it is appropriate to restrict this discussion to DAN America only and ""Specifics about other regions organizations and plans would probably be best discussed on local forums." "... given it is Basic Scuba and not the USA subforum :wink:

I think it would be best if they were discussed here, interesting to compare what happens in each country...

Yea and I don't think it is appropriate to restrict this discussion to DAN America only and ""Specifics about other regions organizations and plans would probably be best discussed on local forums." "... given it is Basic Scuba and not the USA subforum :wink:

I think it would be best if they were discussed here, interesting to compare what happens in each country...
Perhaps so. Just trying to avoid confusion while attempting to fill a perceived info gap in the US - and we don't have a US forum, but ok.

Special note to Open Water students: Your Instructor can enroll you in the student plan for free that covers you during OW training. It is a bit of a hassle, but ask him/her to do so - and buy his/her lunch.:crafty:

No it isn't a hassle and can be done easily on line by any dive instructor that is a member (and of course I wouldn't dive without it). I sign up every new OW student, explain the importance of having coverage in every class.

Thanks for starting the post.

United States - ScubaBoard Here is the regional subforum if you need! :)

Well, actually I think in many places there are information gaps with DAN and whether or not you need it. Maybe each poster can use the whole title of the DAN they are referring to, like DAN America or DAN Asia Pacific, to avoid confusion.

No it isn't a hassle and can be done easily on line by any dive instructor that is a member (and of course I wouldn't dive without it). I sign up every new OW student, explain the importance of having coverage in every class.

Thanks for starting the post.
Well, I have asked about that before here, with mixed results. Thanks. I think any Inst who is not doing so and stressing the deep importance of obtaining dive insurance is dropping the ball, but then I have never been one so my thots are inexperienced there.
United States - ScubaBoard Here is the regional subforum if you need! :)

Well, actually I think in many places there are information gaps with DAN and whether or not you need it. Maybe each poster can use the whole title of the DAN they are referring to, like DAN America or DAN Asia Pacific, to avoid confusion.
Hardeeharhar. I suppose you noticed that posting is only in the numerous sub-forums? WE, let's discuss them all; it's fine.

I signed up for DAN last week and opted for the master plan mainly for my dive trip later this week. Local government health insurance might cover use of a decompression chamber as I could see that being classified as a "therapeutic procedure ordered by a doctor", but their website doesn't specify one way or another. On the flip side, I did find out tonight that one of the member benefits is a free air fill per month at my LDS, which basically pays for the membership and insurance if I use them all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom