please excuse my ignorance but what is

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rubbachicken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi all
i'm still trying to find my around all the different sections on this forum
this one has me stumped, what exactly is Hogarthian Diving
am i missing out on something ??

Hi Chicken

Hogarthian diving is a style of equipment set up that was first started by a guy called Hogarth. It is usually used in technical diving, it involves using a backplate and wings instead of the more popular jacket style BCD, you have a seven foot long hose on your primary regulator, so you can donate it in a out of air situation and still swim through confined areas in wrecks and caves.

The overall idea is simplicity, redundancy, streamlining and taking only the essentials.

There is a lot more to it than that, but that is the basics, you can find out more in teh hogarthian forum. Hope that helps.

This is the subject of much controversey. The basic idea is that there was a cave diver named William Hogarth Main who espoused streamlining, simplicity, robustness, and redundancy in gear. The resulting system (bp/wing, one continuous webbing harness, long hose on primary with bungied backup, wrist mounted gauges, SPG on a short hose) is what is generally referred to as a Hogarthian configuration.. or a "hog rig" for short.

See http://www.scubaboard.com/t75817-hogarthian_diving;_the_definition.html

rubbachicken:
hi all
i'm still trying to find my around all the different sections on this forum
this one has me stumped, what exactly is Hogarthian Diving
am i missing out on something ??

as the guys have said BUT dir sounds the same so do the hogs wear white jeans and tee's?

jonnythan:
This is the subject of much controversey.

Errr....

Rubberchicken; Jonnythan is the subject of much controversy....

And to stop things getting out of hand, let me explain that there is a form of Hogarthian diving called DIR or "Doing it Right" which causes much controversy particularly here on the scubaboard. If you are interested in DIR, I will let Jonnythan explain that to you as he is more qualified to do so than me.

thanks all
interesting, but not for me

rubbachicken:
thanks all
interesting, but not for me

as a wise man (or could have been woman ) once said "never say never"
just have fun and use the right 7Lb hammer to do the job:)

This kind of question is frequently asked and usually answered that Hogarthian configuration is a technical or cave diving gear configuration. I agree that it got it's start in that arena, but, it is a good gear configuration for recreational diving as well. I have been using it since I got my first gear and love it.

jonnythan:
This is the subject of much controversey. The basic idea is that there was a cave diver named William Hogarth Main who espoused streamlining, simplicity, robustness, and redundancy in gear. The resulting system (bp/wing, one continuous webbing harness, long hose on primary with bungied backup, wrist mounted gauges, SPG on a short hose) is what is generally referred to as a Hogarthian configuration.. or a "hog rig" for short.

See http://www.scubaboard.com/t75817-hogarthian_diving;_the_definition.html

One line above should be changed to "IS". William Hogarth Main is still alive, and still diving.

Cheers!

BigJetDriver69:
One line above should be changed to "IS". William Hogarth Main is still alive, and still diving.

Cheers!
True, of course - and we appreciate when he graces us with his presence. I meant to imply, though, that he's quiet these days and, at least from my newbie rec diver perspective, seems to lack the influence he may have once had.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom