please help me with my gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nurse H2O

Registered
Reaction score
What do you think of the "Genesis Womens package # 7" on the leisure pro website. It is less expensive than my LDS. Im new and dont know what brands to buy.I have a really neet dive knife though (from NY, have to have a dive knife :icosm07: )
:nurse: :h2o:

Is the Genesis something that you have dove with? If so and you liked it then you might consider it. If not then I would work closely with your LDS. Your LDS may be a bit more expensive than what you can find on the web, but the service and advice you can get is invaluable.

Dapher:
Is the Genesis something that you have dove with? If so and you liked it then you might consider it. If not then I would work closely with your LDS. Your LDS may be a bit more expensive than what you can find on the web, but the service and advice you can get is invaluable.

Exactly.....if you trust your LSD, let them assist you in getting the equipment you should have rather than "picking it in the dark". It might be more expensive, but worth it. Just my thought on it.

Buying it right the 1st time, is always less expensive then buying it again. Educate yourself on equipment, especially life support equipment. The time you invest will be well worth it.

nurse H2O:
What do you think of the "Genesis Womens package # 7" on the leisure pro website. It is less expensive than my LDS. Im new and dont know what brands to buy.
In general, a cordial working relationship with your LDS is a good thing for both of you. Most dive shops care about putting you in gear that fits and makes sense for you. But some don't...

Dunno about where you live, but there are likely more than one LDS in your area. Talk to two or three before you purchase. One benefit to working with an LDS is that they have rental gear examples of what they sell. Ensure they let you try on different products (in the pool while diving). Often stuff fits very differently. Fit is important for comfort, but also for safety.

If the staff is condescending or blows smoke up your tail, shop elsewhere.

You're better off with a good LDS in the long run, but you're also better off with stuff that fits from LeisurePro than some POS that Slick from the local dive shack scammed off on you ("uh, sorry, we have a no-return policy, only exchange or in-store credit").

Nurse-

If cost is a BIG factor for you, let your LDS know what your budget will allow and/or print out the Leisure Pro pkg description and price and take it to them. I would also suggest calling ScubaToys (www.scubatoys.com).

Thanks for your help. I have alot of homework to do and am going to go to my LDS and see what they can do.I like them, afterall, they taught me how to dive :snorkels: and will continue with them as i advance in diving. and it makes sense to buy right the first time

I understand your problem. When I was looking to buy my equipment, I had similar problems as the LDS's I was talking to all gave me conflicting info and no one had any gear that I could rent to try that I was interested in buying. I ended up buying gear that I am now in the process of replacing (every bit of it). It certainly would have been better to get it all right the first time! I am now working with a different LDS that I am really happy with and whose advice I trust and that makes all the difference. So, I agree, talk to your LDS and if you are not 110% sure then go and talk to some other dive centers, talk to other divers, try different equipment whenever you can. It is much easier (and cheaper) to buy it right the first time. Plus, it is a great idea to support the dive center that you are diving with and training with. They can use your support. And, you get the warranties on the equipment that you buy from them that you will NOT get if you buy from Leisure Pro, etc.

My local dive shop is great and I can certainlly tell you from just watching that you need to have a good relationship with one. But do remember that they are in business to make money.

I also depend quite heavily on my brother who is an experienced diver and has amassed a great deal of equipment. I suggest finding someone who has the experience and asking them too.

The guys are Scuba Toys are the bomb, they'll answer any question and their web site is very informative. Give them a call ask them anything. Tour the site.

And last but not least read!

http://scubatoys.com/

have a great day!
Kay

I'm also kind of in the same position but already bought my gear. I was always accustomed to using Aqua lung products but the LDS that is the same certifying agency in the area isnt a dealer...(I just moved to the area/new state adn the LDS is the only one in the area)...so I had to go w/ a whole other brand which I rented in Honduras, but still that was one occasion. Anyway, like the others said, do your homework, try/test different equiptment, then see what the LDS can do/order for your needs because also remember if you want the warrenties you'll have to take it to the shop for your annuals. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom