please help with a research project - DC1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jakz2fun

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I am a diver who is doing a research project comparing 3 dive cameras. I am looking for someone who would be willing to let me know what their opinions are for the following point & shoot camera:

the SeaLife DC1000

I would like to know how the macro and video features work under water. Also, do you have an extended flash, and if so, how do you like that? What is the cycle time for when using the flash? How long do the batteries last? Also, have you used the camera for land photos? And anything else you can let me know about your experiences using these cameras. Do you feel like you are getting your moneys worth?

If you want to send me a private message, that would work, or just please respond to this thread.

Thank-you , in advance, for your help in this. I appreciate it.

JoAnn

I would like to know how the macro

It works OK with external flashes, not OK with the internal flash.

and video features work under water.

Video is "eh", it uses standard definition 640x480 and there is a lot of compression artifacts. You can see for yourself:

Also, do you have an extended flash, and if so, how do you like that?

Yes, I have two. When they work, they are great. I have had to send four flash heads to Sealife repair shop in 10 months I have owned the system. They have been fixed under warranty, but I am still out about $100 worth of shipping. You can see my Kona picture thread Here (all pictures were made with the DC1000). Virtually all the flash pictures taken in that thread are with one flash, since one of the two flashes died on my first dive of the trip (it flooded, it was brand new, never tried... a last second replacement shipment from the factory for another defective flash)

What is the cycle time for when using the flash? How long do the batteries last?

That depends if you are using the flash on auto or manual, and lots of other factors. Generally it is quite fast. I had no problem getting 2 dives (2 hours) out of a set of batteries for the flashes and for the camera its self

Also, have you used the camera for land photos?

Yes, but... it is a sub-par point & shoot for land photography, since the color casts are off and it is noisy at any ISO other than the lowest. I much prefer cheap Canon point & shoots if I am not taking a DSLR.

And anything else you can let me know about your experiences using these cameras. Do you feel like you are getting your moneys worth?

I originally bought a DC800, and the first three I had couldn't take a clear picture (I am talking about pictures on land, not in a case... the left half of the frames were blurry). After I returned three of them, Sealife upgraded me to the DC1000 at no charge. I have used that DC1000 since it was released with no problems on the camera. I have, however, had a total of four dead flashes and have had to send the camera case in for service (shutter button stuck). When the camera works, it is excellent. Unfortunately, I have spent more than 50 percent of my time of ownership waiting for some part of my Maxx kit or other to get back from warranty service. Because of this, I cannot recommend the DC1000 (or DC800) or their flashes... heck I am nervous on every dive that I take with it wondering what is going to fail on this dive.

Thank-you sabbath999 for answering my questions. It is really helping me with my paper.

I am sorry to hear that you have had so many issues with the camera and flashes.

I am just now getting to the writing of the paper, so I may have some additional questions. I will let you know.

JoAnn

sabath999, thank you for your help with this. I really appreciated it. I am sorry it took me so long to post my thanks, but with your hlep, I was received an A for my report and for the class.

Thank you, JoAnn

Hi JoAnn -
I have been a Sealife user for 10 years - I own 3 different setups and I have had great success with all of their products. Karl who is their service technician is awesome. The company has always supported their equipment. I use it for a lot of y closeup work. I use the wide angle often and have had great success! I now also shoot with my Nikon D60 and use a Sea and Sea for my housing (RDX 60) - I get great shots with it too using a Tokina 12-24 mm lens. Their flash units also work well with this setup! I also use Sea and Sea 110 strobes and the DC 500 I use also works with the camera. For a beginner in the u/w photography realm this is a good system to start with because of it's easiness to use. Sorry never have had the need for the 600,800,1000. If you are interested please checkout my website - www.stevenandersonphotography.com

Sounds like you could answer a couple of questions I have.
First, a little info: I am a new U/W photographer. I have a Sealife DC 1000 Elite, the one w/one strobe.
>Rather than experiment with every setting on the strobe, what would recommend for good vis and day? Night?
I tried 'auto' last time out and it wasn't too bad for an amateur but what do you suggest as a starting point?

>The other model has two strobes w/diffusers. The single has no diffuser* and to tell you the truth, I'm confused why you would need one. That is, if I knew more about the settings on the (instruction book doesn't give much info) strobe. Can you enlighten me?

*Sealife does not offer the diffuser as seperate item on their website. Which is wierd since the strobes on both the single and double setups are identical. On the double,it's like a frame that attaches to the strobe with the diffuser on a hinge that can be flipped up or down.

>I have not used the wide angle lens that came with the 'kit' yet. Can you offer any tips?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

I have the SeaLife DC1000 Maxx with two strobes. Karl is the guy to talk too. He is loaded with info. I shoot almost all shots in MACRO and was getting everything overexposed because of the two flashes. Karl walked me through turning the strobes way down, some shots are best when both are about 1/4 to 1/3 setting on MACRO. Keep your shoots close, learn to adjust strobes in your mind by the distance, the auto feature is just too slow for close MACRO shots with two strobes. I dove this whole weekend off Miami beach and I shot almost all shots on Saturday in Auto all the 2 ft shots were over exposed. Sunday, I remembered what Karl told me and I started playing with the strobe adjustment and found the sweet spot for distance in MACRO mode. For price, the SeaLife system is a great entry level system. I just bought a Canon 7D and a couple of leneses and could have bought several SeaLife systems but one day I will kit up my 7D after I learn to shoot with my DC1000 MAXX.

I was lucky as I bought my kit from a dive shop going out of business for a fire sale price that you couldn't turn down. Cheaper than the price on a good point and shoot. Lucky me. Have had it in the water now for 8 dives, no leaks. Follow the procedures. The seals are compression and only clean with lint free cloth and water. Use NO GREASE OR LUBE!!!! Just make sure the seals are very clean and dry. I had plenty of battery power for two 1 hour dives with lots of shots and flashes but I use fresh rechargeable batteries in the Strobes. I do not open the case between dives and use a hair dyer from a distance to insure the case and strobes are air dry before opening. No floods yet.

Last edited:
I have the SeaLife DC1000 Maxx with two strobes. Karl is the guy to talk too. He is loaded with info. I shoot almost all shots in MACRO and was getting everything overexposed because of the two flashes. Karl walked me through turning the strobes way down, some shots are best when both are about 1/4 to 1/3 setting on MACRO. Keep your shoots close, learn to adjust strobes in your mind by the distance, the auto feature is just too slow for close MACRO shots with two strobes. I dove this whole weekend off Miami beach and I shot almost all shots on Saturday in Auto all the 2 ft shots were over exposed. Sunday, I remembered what Karl told me and I started playing with the strobe adjustment and found the sweet spot for distance in MACRO mode. For price, the SeaLife system is a great entry level system. I just bought a Canon 7D and a couple of leneses and could have bought several SeaLife systems but one day I will kit up my 7D after I learn to shoot with my DC1000 MAXX.

I was lucky as I bought my kit from a dive shop going out of business for a fire sale price that you couldn't turn down. Cheaper than the price on a good point and shoot. Lucky me. Have had it in the water now for 8 dives, no leaks. Follow the procedures. The seals are compression and only clean with lint free cloth and water. Use NO GREASE OR LUBE!!!! Just make sure the seals are very clean and dry. I had plenty of battery power for two 1 hour dives with lots of shots and flashes but I use fresh rechargeable batteries in the Strobes. I do not open the case between dives and use a hair dyer from a distance to insure the case and strobes are air dry before opening. No floods yet.
Thanks for taking the time and thanks for the inf0.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom