Please help with final camera decision- Have researched for 2 weeks prior to posting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neuroll

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone, I realize I'm a noob but am very familiar with forum etiquette. I have researched for 2 weeks before posting and I am down to several choices but need an experienced unbiased opinion. I am new to underwater photography and dont want to get into the expense of a DSLR setup $$. So I am between the Olympus E-pl2, Panasonic p7100, s9100, Canon s100 or have even considered the Olympus e-pm1. I know the 4/3's are very different from the others so I guess my 1st question is are they worth the extra cost? I have watched some really good videos from the panasonic p7100 and the s100. My main goal is to have a fair balance between still pictures and HD video leaning more towards video quality. Its a lot of money to be investing so I want to make sure I am making to right decision and dont want to get a system that will need to be upgraded once I get into it. Thanks in advance for all your help I know I have a very diverse selection here.

Have you researched cost of housing? Cause that can be as important the cost of the cameras. Im not sure what the cost of the 4/3rds uw housings is but I suspect they can be pretty high compared to the cost of a housing for something like a canon G-12 which is also a good camera.
Infact the housing costs where a major part of the reason why I didnt go DSLR as DSLR housings easilly cost as much as the camera.

My bad was rushing to go to work it's the nikon p7100 and thanks the really quick replys. Yes I have researched the cost of the 4/3's cameras they are $800 for the Olympus. I am okay with paying a couple hundred extra for a camera that is worth it and will grow with me as I further develop my skills.
The fantasea videos on YouTube of the nikon p7100 look gorgeous and fantasea has different accessories for the housing and it's cheap. How does it compare with the g12? Thanks again

Thats what I suspected then.. Pretty much the same as the DSLR housings.

I thought the dslr housings were around 2000 dollars

DSLR housings range from $1200 to as high as you want to go. Ikelite to Seacam (they are the ones that if you have to ask, you can't afford them). Then you need ports, then you need strobes etc. At the end of the day, for a complete DSLR system to shoot both macro and wide angle you will need $4 to $5K.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom