Please help with final camera decision- Have researched for 2 weeks prior to posting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He also charges $22 for shipping on a $22 item.

:D :lol: :rofl3: That was just the first vendor I found. eBayers gotta make profit somewhere, in the form of "hidden" taxes.

However, the XKCD comic really hits my nerd-geek funny bone.

XKCD is good stuff, especially that one. Also shippers that are charging exorbinant amounts can be reported to ebay, they are only allowed to charge reasonable prices based on the actual shipping cost plus a minimum handling fee based on the ebay agreements.

Otherwise it is an unfair way of offering lowered prices on goods. Might take a few people reporting them, but they are getting more strict on that sort of thing.

Hey Neuroll,
Unless it’s too late and you have made your decision, I’d ike to troll this threat a bit and through out another crazy idea / proposition for an underwater camera system:

Camera: Panasonic zs10 : 232$
Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS10 14.1 MP Digital Camera with 16x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and Built-In GPS Function (Black): Electronics

Housing: 269$
Amazon.com: Panasonic DMW-MCTZ10 Marine Case Underwater Housing for Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5, DMC-ZS7 and DMC-TZ10: Electronics

Total for underwater 501$ (I was trying to get below 500$)

It is nearly 1 /10 from what you are discussing with a full nex5n (or m43) system with multiple lens and strobes. It’s very different, but you can actually get that underwater at every dive.
The still pictures wont be great, but if you buy a dive light, it can be acceptable from time to time.
The video will be very decent except for macro
You can make this system neutral and handle it with one hand
You’ll have plenty of money to go diving or take further training.
If you loose your rig, wont be as bad
If you flood your rig, you just buy another camera
In 6 months, you can buy a tray and a strobe for a little more than 500$ (with the new one coming, the ys110a will go down in price) and can get better macro.

It’s not as fun as getting a complete semi-pro system, but it will be much more fun underwater for some time.

Thanks for the additional option Stargost but I am happy to FINALLY to say that I have a Sony NEX 5N with kit lens and 30mm Macro lens and 10Bar housing with both pancake and zoom ports and port extension for 30mm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I pulled the trigger this evening after many weeks of research, all of your input and this great site. I ended up emailing Jack from OpticalOceanSales.com and told him my predicament and he responded in a day with a very thorough response- definitely answered all my questions. I had a bad experience with my local shop that carries photography equipment so I went to the internet. I had walked into the shop with the intentions and budget to walk out with a system but the sales person didnt want to leave his computer or even pay attention to me, it was like pulling teeth to get more than a two word response. Anyway definitely not spending my money where its not deserved and Optical is definitely deserving. I called yesterday and talked with the co-owner Martin and asked him questions for about 20 minutes and boy was this the conversation I wish I had weeks ago. He cleared up all the gray areas but at the same time didnt give me the buy that one over the other answer, he said they were both great cameras and I couldnt go wrong either way. So when I woke up today I watched and compared many videos from both cams and cant get over the Sonys quality and the Oly's wobble and no its not someones unsteady hand its consistent across all the videos I watched. Now not to say its horrible it just bothers me to watch. I plan on buying tray, handle and a strobe next week probably the ys110a. After that defintely getting the 16mm pancake with the wide angle converter lens. For those that responded to this thread thank you, thank you, thank you! This was always the place that influenced my decision the most and I hope the thread has/will help others making a costly decision like this. A large weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I can sleep better at night now cause I wont be going over all the pros and cons in my head when I should be sleeping. I cant wait to post pics once I get in the water- Ill be ready for the critique!

Congratulations ! Yes, post pictures and videos !

Thanks for the additional option Stargost but I am happy to FINALLY to say that I have a Sony NEX 5N with kit lens and 30mm Macro lens and 10Bar housing with both pancake and zoom ports and port extension for 30mm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I pulled the trigger this evening after many weeks of research, all of your input and this great site. I ended up emailing Jack from OpticalOceanSales.com and told him my predicament and he responded in a day with a very thorough response- definitely answered all my questions. I had a bad experience with my local shop that carries photography equipment so I went to the internet. I had walked into the shop with the intentions and budget to walk out with a system but the sales person didnt want to leave his computer or even pay attention to me, it was like pulling teeth to get more than a two word response. Anyway definitely not spending my money where its not deserved and Optical is definitely deserving. I called yesterday and talked with the co-owner Martin and asked him questions for about 20 minutes and boy was this the conversation I wish I had weeks ago. He cleared up all the gray areas but at the same time didnt give me the buy that one over the other answer, he said they were both great cameras and I couldnt go wrong either way. So when I woke up today I watched and compared many videos from both cams and cant get over the Sonys quality and the Oly's wobble and no its not someones unsteady hand its consistent across all the videos I watched. Now not to say its horrible it just bothers me to watch. I plan on buying tray, handle and a strobe next week probably the ys110a. After that defintely getting the 16mm pancake with the wide angle converter lens. For those that responded to this thread thank you, thank you, thank you! This was always the place that influenced my decision the most and I hope the thread has/will help others making a costly decision like this. A large weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I can sleep better at night now cause I wont be going over all the pros and cons in my head when I should be sleeping. I cant wait to post pics once I get in the water- Ill be ready for the critique!

Hi There,

Not sure if it's still relevant, but in any respect - when choosing a camera for underwater photography, I agree that it's very important to also compare the housings available for it and the accessories available for that housing. Otherwise, you might end up with a wonderful camera that is very difficult to produce good underwater images and videos with.
For instance, while the Canon G12 and Nikon P7100 receive more or less a same score on most of the reviews published on the web, you might take into consideration that Fantasea offers a very high standard housing for this camera - the FP7100 Housing.
CLICK HERE
Shock resistance, an increased depth ratio of 60 meters/200 feet, durable construction, double fiber optic cable connection, anti-glare hood over the LCD screen, cold-shoe mount for lighting accessories, labeled controls, FULL access to all cameras controls and function - all of these are just a few of the features the FP7100 housing has to offer.
In addition, a full accessory system is available for this housing, including wide angle and macro lenses. Additional accessories include a variety of color correction filters and lighting sets, which enable photographers to further enhance the quality of their images and videos.

You are more than welcome to contact us at info@fantasea.com for further info!

Cheers,
Sharon

Sharon, the Sony NEX5N (with the "tick" patch fixed for video) is one outstanding camera for video. Just the video, none of the sub-1000$ cameras come even close.

1080p @ 60 frames per second ! However, thanks for chiming in, we need more manufacturer reps talking with us.

A great detailed review on the Sony NEX5N

Congrats Neuroll. I gave up on the pancake 30mm, had the store reimburse my CC, I'm leaving for Grand Cayman in less than 10 days, it still wasn't in yet. Will get it later with a housing. Still looking at various housings for next year; 10bar will be high on my list.

Thanks Mark, your first hand feedback was definitely a contributing factor with my decision. And I will sending the camera to Sony if it has the clicking issue. I get everything Friday and actually got the 30mm lens the other day and I must say it is a solid well built little lens. Mark please pm me some pics from your trip I would love to check them out. And I will definitely be giving feedback on my setup. Just one ? Should I start a new thread on the sony snapper forum or pay here? In my car forums they post in original but not sure about this forum. Admin if you could chime in it would be appreciated. Thanks

Neuroll,

Wait, I had one more idea....not.

However I have seen some interesting underwater panorama photos of shallow water ship wrecks made with the Sony NEX camera.
Something to keep in mind and try. I wouldn't have thought of using panorama capabilities underwater.

It has been informative to watch the decision process at work here. A few years ago I bought a Nikon P-6000 just before the mirrorless 4/3rds cameras were introduced. I have used and appreciated Sony cameras for a long time and the NEX line is intriguing. You have made a good call.

Back
Top Bottom