Please help with final camera decision- Have researched for 2 weeks prior to posting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm considering upgrading to a mirrorless compact as well, so this thread has been great, and thanks to the contributors!

Nueroll, with either your compact or your gf2 set up, I don't think you'll go wrong either way, BUT, keep in mind that as bullshark and Patw have mentioned, without a strong video and/or strobe light, anything beyond a few inches from your port will have poor color.

Cameras without without strobes can produce lovely images, provided you work within their limitations. I started out with just my Pany Lumix in the OEM housing with no strobes. I could shoot 'macro' with the on board flash, silhouettes (no flash) or mid to farther range with manual white balance. I practiced with that until I was ready to upgrade to an advanced compact, add strobes etc. Great thing was, I could just clip it off when not in use. The goal was to just get some cool photos of the life I was seeing underwater.

I upgraded to an s90 and added strobes, wet lenses etc when I was ready, and decided I wanted to take a more creative approach.

Lighting will make a huge difference in any of your shots. I would lay money on the fact that 99% of the UW photos you find inspiring are all taken with strobe lighting. I think it's important that you are realistic and knowledgable about what your camera can/can't do with your current configuration (sounds like you are really doing your homework!)

Good luck with your decision!

I have a gf2, works well, but read my other post this morning for more information (TL;DR- Go oly. ignore the iso difference (100v200) testing proves out that they are the same thing just measured differently). The one thing I will suggest here is that you shoot all your shots in raw mode. That lets you get away from worrying about many settings like color balance. jpg applies the color balance to the image and then records that, if you change the balance in post processing from a jpg you lose data. In raw mode you lose nothing.

You also may be able to pull back some highlights/lows in raw mode that you could not do in jpg.

Another reason for RAW, see my thread on Lightroom.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ti...mazing-results-little-effort-uw-touchups.html

I've been using the Sony-Nex5n for about a month now, on land of course, and here are some thoughts.
- blazing fast focus
- touch screen for non-centered focus - amazing for Rule Of Thirds and you main subject IS NOT smack in the middle
(that's a pet-peeve of mine)
ex: your GF is on the far left, and behind and to her left, an amazing view...but I want my GF in focus...I can do that now.

- tilt screen for when your subject is smaller than you, for eye-level pics
- tilt screen for taking pics / vids above people's heads
- incredibly easy-to-use manual focus, it does a 4.8x zoom, allowing you to "see" your focus way up close
- the various SCN modes work incredibly well
- manual mode rocks, with a WYSIWYG screen, allowing you to see what the different speeds or F-stops will look like
(A)perture priority and (S)peed priority are easy to use, the wheel allows for +3 to -3 exposure

The pic / vid quality are outstanding, minimal buttons, a great "beginner" non-slr for someone that wants to spend more $$$ above a 200$ cheapie point-and-shoot.

Irritants in Manual mode :
- you cannot change the ISO other than hitting the MENU button, then two more "clicks", then you use the wheel to rotate through the ISO's
- you cannot change the autofucus, other than hitting the MENU button, then two more "clicks", etc

Lastly, the Flash, it needs a diffuser for taking pics of people within 4-5 feet, I made one with a white napkin and scotch tape, the effect was perfect. Would have been difficult to make a diffuser on a camera that doesn't have a pop-up flash, this was easy.

That's great to hear Mark, I'm glad you're having a good time with the 5N and I appreciate the review. I am still looking for that perfect camera as I am a very stubborn person when it comes to spending a significant amount of money. At least with all of your help I have narrowed it down to a couple of cameras. I do feel that I will bite the bullet and end up getting the Gf2 or the 5N( I know I had previously said I scaled down my desired cameras but now I think an extra couple of hundred dollars is worth the added quality). Kinda just been waiting to see that sale that screams buy me.

One thing to factor in, is the flash hotshoe for non-UW pictures, that the 5n doesn't have. You have the basic, and there's a stronger one optional buy, but it's proprietary.

With the GF2 I could use my Nikon flash (which is, quite honestly, awesome) however not in TTL mode.

I would start looking into interchanging lenses capabilities. Perhaps a dSLR Nikon or Canon, where the same lens could be used UW on the GF2, with perhaps an adapter (or vice-versa).

The Nex5N was a camera for my GF first, me second, and for a slated trip to Taiwan & Australia in the next 4-5 years, my GF being able to use her cam UW with a housing. By that time more lenses will be available, and there's a new Canon adapter that just came out - it's over 300$ - I read on Gizmodo.com.

For my trip to the Caymen Islands first week of March, I'm still looking. The local camera store showed me Ikelite + Canon Powershot combo that was reasonable in price, 12mp sensor. Hate it's autofocus though.

Autofocus - try getting in focus shots in shallow sea water with wave action...then if you go deeper to avoid the currents, w/o a pair of strobes, you get sub-par pics.

Tarjan, I read a couple of your previous posts regarding the GF2 and one stated that you recommend getting the 7-14mm lens. Would you recommend that I try and get the camera with the 7-14mm and not even bother with the 14-42mm lens? Or will I need/want both? Thanks again

you will want both. The 7-14 is better underwater, but is also very useful on land. I don't own it, but I do own an UWZ for my dslr and love it, one of my most used lenses.

The issue is backscatter. You need to get really close to things to get around the particles in the water reflecting light and distorting the image while using one or two strobes. With an UWZ (7-14 in this case) you can get really close to a subject, yet still get all of it in frame.

The 14-42 works, but there were plenty of times I wish I could have been closer to my subjects. Especially when shooting my dive buddies.

That being said it is expensive and is fairly single purpose. Underwater the 14-42 can also have a wet diopter macro put in front of it and you can do some macro shooting at about 30mm. The 7-14 will just get you 7-14mm shots.

Hey guys I think I'm gonna go the Olympus route and get an Epl3 or Epm1. Do you think the additional external controls on the epl3 are worth the additional $200? Plus if I go Epm1 I cant get a 10bar housing as they only make one for the Epl3. Or is the Olympus housing sufficient? But I figure for less than $200 you get a much nicer housing. Thanks again I will be making a purchase by the end of next week!

Hey guys I think I'm gonna go the Olympus route and get an Epl3 or Epm1. Do you think the additional external controls on the epl3 are worth the additional $200? Plus if I go Epm1 I cant get a 10bar housing as they only make one for the Epl3. Or is the Olympus housing sufficient? But I figure for less than $200 you get a much nicer housing. Thanks again I will be making a purchase by the end of next week!

Curious as to why Oly route versus the newer Canon 4/3. Seems that why Oly you use the Oly housing, with the Canon there seems to be more choice of housings, and more choice of lenses. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was gonna go with the Oly Epl3 because it has more external controls then the Panasonic m4/3 and I think the Epm1 has too few controls. Then I started reading about the Oly Ep3 because I had seen the 10Bar housing for it. The EP3 looks better than the Epl3 because it has even more external controls. What is the new Canon 4/3? I have looked into the T3i route but I cant get over the fact that I have to purchase a port/dome with ever lens that I purchase. The added expense is crazy! How important are all those extra controls? Are the added controls really worth it? I would assume so for being able to changes on the fly.I want to make a purchase and get in the water soon. Please help me!!!!!!!!! Sorry Im frustrating myself being so stubborn with this purchase. I just need a few more opinions and answers before I feel confident with my decision. Thanks guys

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom