please help! work and dive in thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here we go again.
You can have your opinion as long as it agrees with mine.
what you experienced did not really happen.
Sorry Penguintom, if you dare to speak what I dare say is the truth, as I have found you will become unpopular on here.
But who gives a f.

You agree that there is no good diver education to be had in Thailand? This is not at all about not being allowed to have your own opinion. Whats the value in going to a few shops, having a bad experience, then telling others to avoid Thailand for diver education? In fact, I recall advice given to PT about doing his course elsewhere, yet he was stuck on Pattaya. But thats not what the internet is for, the internet is for disgruntled consumers seeking vengeance by tarnishing business reputations, collateral damage is welcome. Here's my summary

PT: I went to a few shops in one location which that weren't very good... Thailand thus has bad standards, is unprofessional and unsafe. Since I won't name names, just stay home and avoid thailand.

Me: There are other great shops in other locations, here are the names and places of great places to go.

LK: Censorship!

Its not censorship, it is not attempting to invalidate or belittle negative experiences of others. It is to refute with real examples the sweeping conclusions made of many from limited samples.

Last edited:
Of course I dont think anyone is saying or implying that there is no good diving facilities in Thailand. But I have dived extensively in both Asia and North Europe, and yes like it or not standards are far superior in the Uk. I am using the UK as an example as this is the locatioin I am most familiar with.
I have a short question and answer scenario refering to my experiences, please watboy ask yourself the same questions.

Q: How many dayboats in the UK carry safety equipment such as, fixed and portable VHF radios with such features as DSC. Satelite phones. Radar that is active beyond the distance the vessel is licenced and insured to operate offshore. Regularly serviced and inspected liferafts, large enough to accomodate all passengers. Lifejackets for all passengers, not pieces of foam with a few plastic clips that cost a few baht, but lifejackets that will actually keep you upright in rough seas even if unconcious, and contain equipment to help rescue services locate you. Flare packs etc to assist emergency services should you have a problem at sea?

A: All of them, because they have to provide such features to become licenced to operate.

Q: How many dayboats in Asia have you dived on, that provide such comprehensive safety features?

A: None.

Q: Do all scuba cylinders used in the UK have to be inspected, tested and certified every 2.5 years to enable the owner to get them filled?

A: Yes

Q: Do the same tests have to be carried out in Asia?

A: I am not sure, but if this is the case, many times it is clearly not adhered to.

I am not going to continue, because I will be here all day.

But yes In my mind UK standards of safety, diver training, dive boats, rescue services, commercial operator legaly required insurances and operator licencing, are all far superior to what I have witnessed around Asia. And in a lot of cases all this can be provided at a lower cost???

Also I am not saying all Thai diving is bad and UK diving is good because that is far from the case and I love diving at many locations in Thailand. As I do in Europe.

But what I am saying is that all too often on these forums, people (like you have done in the last post) boldly tell others that what they have stated is wrong. When quite clearly that is not the case.

But what I am saying is that all too often on these forums, people (like you have done in the last post) boldly tell others that what they have stated is wrong. When quite clearly that is not the case.

Where did i boldly tell others they were wrong in my last post? In fact, where did i ever say Thailand has higher standards or is safer or as safe than UK diving? For your clarification, I have not attempted to refute other people's experiences or other pieces of fact. You can list all your UK regulations you want and put words in my mouth in a strawman attempt, but that is not the point of contention. I have only tried to argue the point that it is wrong to conclude that Thailand is such bad diving that one should "stay at home" and not come. Yes there are bad shops, and negative feed back is one way to address that. But tell me this, do you think PT is beneficial in his posts? He went to half a dozen shops in Pattaya, they were all bad experiences. He could a) name them so others would know and hopefully generate pressure for those business to change. Or b) he could refuse to name the shops, and instead issue a blanket warning against all Pattaya diving. Which he has since expanded to include Koh Tao, and finally all of Thailand in his "stay at home" remark.

You read it different to me, I cant see a stay at home remark, infact I seem to recall a post that PT is returning to thailand next year.
Yes I think he suggested it would be better to do diver training at home in the UK. In my experience I would agree with that as being the superior option, in relation to quality of training, safety standards and cost. And taking that a step further in my opinion I would also recommend other training agencies to PADI (which is prominent in Asia) as a better option.
But that doesn't mean to say that there is not some brilliant diving oportunities to be had in Thailand. And indeed some good instructors, but I feel the latter is too hit and miss for me personally to take the chance.
I live in Thailand and dive frequently at many locations and fully enjoy the diving on nearly all occasions. Despite on some occasions feeling the costs are not comensurate with the service provided.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom