Please suggest topside attractions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spent a year wandering around SE Asia before I was a diver, and Luko makes very good suggestions. My only add on would be however long someone tells you it will take to get from A to B, double it. The Asian sense of time is very different to the Western one, and always assume some connection will be missed. Lots of unexpected experiences can arise as a result. I mean this in a good way. Be flexible and keep your sense of humour.

I spent a year wandering around SE Asia before I was a diver, and Luko makes very good suggestions. My only add on would be however long someone tells you it will take to get from A to B, double it. The Asian sense of time is very different to the Western one, and always assume some connection will be missed. Lots of unexpected experiences can arise as a result. I mean this in a good way. Be flexible and keep your sense of humour.

Bali is as good a place as any to practice this.

- Bill

I would second the recommendation of going to Tana Toraja in Sulawesi. Stunning scenery and fascinating culture and don't miss the chance to attend a funeral if you are around when one takes place.

Thanks for all the suggestions!I'm surprised that no one suggested anything in Kalimantan (Indo Borneo), or Java, or Sumatra. Not that we'll have time to do anywhere near all this, but just asking.We're especially interested in anything that is nearby to a dive site we are likely to go to.Thanks!Bill & Emily

Do you surf? I can give some recommendations on where to go in Indo if you do :)

Kalimantan...I've been once for work last year. Not exactly somewhere I'd recommend for tourism to be totally honest. Not to say that anything would necessarily happen to you, but when I was there, we were told by the company the job was with not to go anywhere without personal security. Take that for what it's worth.

In addition to what has been said before, I thought Gunung Mulu was incredibly beautiful. One of the most beautiful places I have ever seen actually. And the people who live there, actually really care about the park. Quite different from some places in SE Asia where there's thrash everywhere. You can do lots of amazing excursions there like adventure caving, or if you don't like the adventure park just visit increadibly beautiful caves, climbing Mount Api and see the 'Pinnacles' (beautiful limestone formations), there's a canopy skywalk, lots of interesting guided walks. Furthermore, when I was there, it was not crowded at all. And the food in the park is delicious!I also really enjoyed Bako NP on Sarawak. The proboscis monkeys are really cute, and it is not hard to spot them.

...lol, what?

You might need a slightly bigger/heavier board, but you could still surf. My brother is 6'6" (I'm a whole 5'2" - we wonder about our parentage a lot) and he's been surfing all his life.

At any rate, it might be fun to spend a week or two learning to surf somewhere? There's a number of "learn to surf" schools around Indonesia, especially around Bali and Lombok. If you've got a year, you've got the time :)

Melaka, Malaysia - meh

Luko's list is pretty good although I am not a fan of Vietnam.

Some more ideas within Indonesia - that giant island called Sumatra has some amazing things to see. Catch an early morning flight from DPS to Jakarta then a two or three hour wait from memory to connect to Padang - Minangkabau - and spend a few days on Cubadak island and dive the Indian Ocean. You can also head out to the Mentawai islands which are generally surf destinations but are also lovely islands with some people still living their ancient cultural ways - you can get their using the Ambu Ambu ferry that departs from Padang harbour. If you hit Cubadak the owners of the resort will organise transport to and from the airport. There are a few ''living bridges'' trained out of trees on the mainland near the port worth checking out.
Lake Maninjua and Lake Singkarak are both beautiful, the second being the largest in West Sumatra.
Pasaman is the next regency in West Sumatra and while relatively unknown it is absolutely beautiful and gave me sightings of wild orangs and wild pygmy elephants.
The Gunung Leusur or Bukit Barasan Selat national parks may save you wandering around the jungle looking for things - btw there are 580 species of birds in Sumatra so you should get some birding in there :wink:
While still in Sumatra...try and head up to Lake Toba an beautiful volcanic crater lake. You have Samisir Island inside a lake inside the island of Sumatra and the fantastic Sumatran architecture which is similar to that found in Tana Toraja in Sulawesi is very interesting.
I last went from Padang to Lake Toba/Parapat by bus which I believe is still running the trans Sumatran highway but book the bus in advance or you can fly from Medan.
Just touching on West Sumatra here, also North Sumatra and Medan are interesting.
If Palau Weh catches your interest and you want to dive Palau Weh you will need to enter Aceh province by air - I have always used Lion Air and am still alive.
You could probably spend 5 years exploring Sumatra alone. Just dont go to Bangka Bilitung in Sumatra instead of Bangka Sulawesi Utara....one is a great dive spot the other is a sulfur mine and not pretty at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom