PNG Scubabboarders 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look forward to the trip report.

Just got the July issue of Scuba Diving. They have an article on diving PNG as well as some info on topside activities. Good read!

catherine96821:
fantastic toula! thank-you. where did you fly in from and what kind of fare did you get if you don't mind the question?

Sounds like the diving is amazing.

Sorry to answer your question so late, Chatherine!
I booked through a company in Australia, called Diversion Dive Travel, www.diversionoz.com
They are a travel agent specializing in dive travel in the Asia Pacific Region. The quote I got was including air fares, but if I worked it backwards from what I know about the rates at Lissenung, the flight from Singapore to Kavieng came to around US$ 1100 per person incl. taxes. I organized my own flights from the US.

Anyway, check them out, they were very helpful and it's the second time I've booked with them.

Back from working in the Solomon Islands

I asked my friend from PNG (he lives near Walindi in Kimbe and worked a lot in the dive industry in PNG).

He said Mylan bay (e.g. Tawali) was nice diving but said there would not be as many soft corals and macro-life as in Kimbe bay (i.e. Walindi). He did not know about the resort. He also indicated we could get a group deal with Max (Walindi) on the Febrina (http://www.febrina.com/) if we wanted to dive Kimbe and New Britain.

He also recommended going to Kaviang and Manus (North of New Britain) where they have identified fish aggregation sites and huge groupers.

Do we have dates?
JL

Catherine: regarding art, if you're going to Kimbe you should take a trip to Natalie LeRiche's studio in Kimbe town. It's not at all traditional, but she has done great at representing the colour and life of PNG on canvas. I would have taken half her studio home if I had the room, but ended up with only 2 originals.

_Bella_:
Catherine: regarding art, if you're going to Kimbe you should take a trip to Natalie LeRiche's studio in Kimbe town. It's not at all traditional, but she has done great at representing the colour and life of PNG on canvas. I would have taken half her studio home if I had the room, but ended up with only 2 originals.

The art gallery down town Kimbe...

Did this thread turn into a planned trip to PNG?
I am thinking of going to Australia and PNG in November 2007 and found this thread very useful and informative. I have been thinking about going to Tawali combined with the MV Chertan liveaboard.
Anyone else thinking about this as well or has done it?
We need to get there from Boston and it sure seems complicated and expensive.
Any ideas for cheap flights or options? I can probably use AA Advantage miles to get to LAX or SFO
We would also like to spend a week in Australia visiting relatives and exploring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom