PNG Scubabboarders 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Okay, PNG is at the top of my list and Bali bumped it for another year. I want to start planning now and Parabolic, and mdb (Oceanic?) have given me some good inside scoop. I have to retrace my e-mails but there is a little resort where you can do half your trip land based and then go aboard their liveaboard for some more remote sites.
3-4 days on a boat sounds about right for my sensibilites.

Anybody else interested? We would rumble about it for awhile...pick a season...pick a place...I need to get it on the callendar so I can put some money that direction. I will go either way, but it seems there might be some others out there who haven't hit PNG yet and there are people I would love to meet.

If we get enough people we can maybe have a casual phot-fest. I am planning to buy artifacts topside and want to get some images of endengenous people...etc

I'll be there. I don't know much about that area but I'll do some research...

I have been digging and dreaming for awhile.... wish mdb was here today...I saved his PM somewhere though. Pictures, web site of the cliff side resort (tiny). Well, I better run, gotta plan my "native PNG avatar". How do they get those straws through their noses?

check THIS out....too cool. I wanna dress like that all week. can you believe these?

I did buy the book he suggested about PNG artifacts... it came the other day. This could be a real adventure of a lifetime.

there have been some "machete" incidents but I will conquer my fears.

http://www.kenbondy.com/png.htm >>>>>>compliments of parabolic, world traveler extroidinaire

I think the place you're thinking about might be Walindi. I'll definitely report when I get back. There's also another poster that spends a month in png every year and is a great personal resource, Allison Finch. I'd have to decide when I come back whether or when to go back :) I'm sure it'll be a when but there are so many other great places I still want to go!

thanks for contributing Bella! Bring back your impressions to the your tribe, ok?

_Bella_:
I think the place you're thinking about might be Walindi. I'll definitely report when I get back. There's also another poster that spends a month in png every year and is a great personal resource, Allison Finch. I'd have to decide when I come back whether or when to go back :) I'm sure it'll be a when but there are so many other great places I still want to go!

Walindi is the base for Febrina and Star Dancer. It is west New Britain. We had some fab dives this past July. We used Star Dancer for a week and stayed at Walindi for one night previous to the liveaboard and two nights after the liveaboard. We enjoyed PNG. We also stayed at and dove from Loloata resort off shore of the mainland of PNG. The diving at Walindi was awesome, there are some dive sites nearby that can stun you. The liveaboard was worth the money as well. We visited the Fathers reefs, the sunsets and diving were spectacular, the water was 90F. The liveaboards were either 7 or 10 day as far as I know.

catherine96821:
Okay, PNG is at the top of my list and Bali bumped it for another year. I want to start planning now and Parabolic, and mdb (Oceanic?) have given me some good inside scoop. I have to retrace my e-mails but there is a little resort where you can do half your trip land based and then go aboard their liveaboard for some more remote sites.
3-4 days on a boat sounds about right for my sensibilites.

Anybody else interested? We would rumble about it for awhile...pick a season...pick a place...I need to get it on the callendar so I can put some money that direction. I will go either way, but it seems there might be some others out there who haven't hit PNG yet and there are people I would love to meet.

If we get enough people we can maybe have a casual phot-fest. I am planning to buy artifacts topside and want to get some images of endengenous people...etc

You struck oil on the Big Island???:D :D

What is the $ projection for this proposed exercise???

how would I know? We haven't picked a season yet. Just make your wife sell a pony Paul. If we plan now, we can start putting money aside. Probably be 16 months at least from now. I plan to make my kids eat spam musabi for a year to afford it. and rice. Maybe after we get enough people, we can move in for the kill and negotiate a good rate or something...I just really have to go there.

Caymaniac, your photography is stunning. So nice to have inspiration like that!
was the diving as great as they say?

catherine96821:
..I just really have to go there.

Caymaniac, your photography is stunning. So nice to have inspiration like that!
was the diving as great as they say?

2yrs - Previous to this trip I was on a liveaboard in the Coral Sea from Osprey Reef to Lizard Island and south. There were some areas that rivaled what we saw in PNG, but for pristine, nothing beats PNG. In the Fathers areas we saw fields of hard corals that were perfect in that there were no signs of bleaching or damage from man or environment. We were in areas of soft corals like that which I have never been, except maybe the Red Sea. There were more kinds of fish in PNG than anywhere I've ever been. Pelagic life was evident as well, tuna, trevally (jacks), barracuda, and sharks. Nudibrachs with variety could be found on every dive. Thanks for he photo compliment, here are some more......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom