• Generally Republican

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • Generally Democrat

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • No association with either party

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

master00sniper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Please read this before voting

The moment I got into the sport, I have often wondered what the views were of the majority of other divers. It has seemed to me, that scuba diving would attract a more democratic/liberal/progressive/left wing crowd rather than a republican/conservative/tea party/right wing crowd.

I know there are vast differences between peoples views of democrats and liberals, republicans and conservatives, mixing with independents and basically every color of the rainbow. (The rent is too damn high party lol lol lol) Generally, (very very very very generally, just for simplicity) I think you can sum it up as (i'm going to continue throwing the word 'generally' in here for you) generally republican, generally democratic, and I'll also throw in no association with either group for the people who either just don't care or are independent enough to swing back and forth often.

This is not a poll to debate which side is correct. I tried doing google searches for 'politics of scuba diving', 'scuba politcal views', etc. etc. etc. and it started to seem easier to just post a poll. So feel free to vote! My main interest is getting the opinions of fellow Americans, however obviously everyone is welcome to vote.

I also did several searches similar on SB and didn't find anything like this, so if I missed it please feel free to link me to it and close this :)

Please read this before voting

The moment I got into the sport, I have often wondered what the views were of the majority of other divers. It has seemed to me, that scuba diving would attract a more democratic/liberal/progressive/left wing crowd rather than a republican/conservative/tea party/right wing crowd.
:)

I've never had any interest in the politics or religion of fellow divers. True believers from either end of the spectrum bore me.

I can't follow the logic of why a scuba diver would prefer one party over another.

Might have been better to say 'left wing' or 'right wing' (or 'liberal/conservative') to help the non-Americans.

My feeling is that diving tends to attract the outdoorsy type, and the slightly more affluent type, both of which would lead to a right wing (Republican) emphasis. Not a huge emphasis, but a slight slant.

EDIT: Not sure if it is relevant or not, but I also think you get a higher proportion of military/ex-military in the sport than average, and my understanding is that they tend to vote for the party that protects their right to bear arms (although I guess Bob Dole and John Kerry are decorated vets who are democrats, so maybe that's not true at all).

I call myself a Independent Conservative Nationalist. The party hat doesn't matter, I want to vote for politicians that will govern in accordance with the Constitution.
Or that have the courage to put changes they'd like to see up for the amendment process instead of getting judges to find things in the Constitution that are not there.or disregarding it altogether. I want the people in office to love this country and want to do what's best for it. I want to be left to live my life as I would like and want ours to do the same. Freedom is about people doing things that all may not approve of but that don't violate the rights others.

Might have been better to say 'left wing' or 'right wing' (or 'liberal/conservative') to help the non-Americans.

My feeling is that diving tends to attract the outdoorsy type, and the slightly more affluent type, both of which would lead to a right wing (Republican) emphasis. Not a huge emphasis, but a slight slant.

EDIT: Not sure if it is relevant or not, but I also think you get a higher proportion of military/ex-military in the sport than average, and my understanding is that they tend to vote for the party that protects their right to bear arms (although I guess Bob Dole and John Kerry are decorated vets who are democrats, so maybe that's not true at all).

Bob Dole is actually a conservative republican. :) Not that it matters. Just thought you might like to know.

Those who cannot determine which political party's platform is more to their liking should probaly not dive deeper than 30ft IMO...

I've been around internet forums for around 12 years with various hobbies (even moderate one) and have seen these threads go bad quickly, so I hope this does not happen to you here. I applaud your clarification that this is not to debate which side is correct, as that is how they (threads like this) usually degenerate. Good luck with it and I did take the poll :D

For me, I just don't mix my politics with my hobby anymore and I think Walter nailed it above. ScottL was good too. :) I want to know my dive buddies can take care of themselves and me if need be. I hear Republican / Democrat / Independent cylinders all breath the same.

Just my .02 and no offense was meant to anyone. I hope posters can honor your request to stay on topic.

J.

I've never had any interest in the politics or religion of fellow divers. True believers from either end of the spectrum bore me.

I can't follow the logic of why a scuba diver would prefer one party over another.

It just seemed to me that exploring and protecting reefs is more of an environmentalist hobby than anything else, and judging from what i've seen they tend to lean left. That was my only reasoning behind it, and its clearly just speculation i know. I was hoping to get more votes than what is had by this time.

Those who cannot determine which political party's platform is more to their liking should probaly not dive deeper than 30ft IMO...

lol

@Johny I don't mean to say that one side politically is going to be more competent than another, if that is how people took it. It literally is just curiosity, and has absolutely no affect on how I view other divers or diving in general. No offense taken by your post. Seems people have been pretty responsible about their posts thus far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom