Pony Bottle - New User Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kohanbash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all
I just ordered a 19cuft pony from my local diveshop. It comes with a tank mount bag. I have a few questions

1. Will I need to add trim weights on the other side of my tank to offset the pony?

2. I assume that I will be able to carry less (lead) weights since the pony will now count as weight. Is that correct? Any idea how much less?

3. Is there a standard place on the BCD to keep the pony second stage? Should I put the pony reg where I normally keep my alternate (and put alternate somewhere else)?

4. Assuming I dont need to utilize the air in the pony, can I leave the air in the tank for a full year between visual inspections?

Is there any thing else about the new pony that I should be thinking about?

Thanks

Consider slinging the tank (i.e. clipping it to a chest d-ring and another d-ring on your waist). I think you'll find that if you mount it on your main tank, it will throw off your trim. Even if you add a trim weight on the opposite side, it will never balance very well.

There have been a lot of threads about this recently (I just started carrying a pony, and started at least one of the threads).
Some comments:

You should be able to get the buoyancy specs for your tank full and empty. E.g., mine is -2 full, plus the weight of the reg set = about 3+ lbs negative.

I have dived with and without trim compensation (I sling the pony on my left side) and notice no big difference, however as I usually carry 2lb on each shoulder, when I dive with the pony I use 2lb on the right side only as I need to lighten up somewhere and that makes the most sense.

I hook my pony 2nd stage to the same top shoulder D ring I use to hook the top of my pony. the 2nd nestles nicely near my left breast. I usually like to clasp my hands when I dive, and the reg lies almost in my hand, just next to my inflator.

Practice using your pony. I use it occasionally for my safety stop - but be sure to tell your buddy or the DM that you will be doing this. It's also worth trying it out at depth a few times.

Decide whether you will donate your pony reg or main 2nd (octo or primary) if a buddy has an OOA situation, and if you will go to your pony or your buddy's 2nd if you have an OOA situation.. In another thread, the consensus was to always go to your pony first if you are OOA and donate your octo if your buddy is OOA. But that's not gospel.

1) don't add but shift a lb to the opposite side of the pony.

2)No, you need to assume that you may need to use the pony in an emergency. If you take weight off your belt and end up needing the pony you are now buoyant.

3)No, it should be kept on the pony itself. There's lots of pictures around you can look at to get the idea.

4) Yes. Cylinders are designed to store compressed air.

Other things worth knowing...
Depending on the cylinder at 19cuft is around 1.3lbs negative when full and closer to neutral when empty . Also for most people a 19 won't last very long, especially under stress. One more thing you should know... your about to get countless replies about justification of the use of a 'pony' and how you don't need one.

Cheers

All good advice. I bungee my reg to the pony, charge it before entering the water then turn it off, sling it, and shift weight to be balanced. If you have to give someone the pony or abandon it for some reason you don't want to be too light so removing weight is not a good idea. Also if you use it you will likely end up somewhat more buoyant than you expect.

The responses above assume the pony bottle is slung. If the pony is attached to the tank where do you recommend putting its regulator? How about the main tanks alternate reg?

The responses above assume the pony bottle is slung. If the pony is attached to the tank where do you recommend putting its regulator? How about the main tanks alternate reg?
I've seen many pony users say that they remove their main alternate and use it as their pony reg. You still have two regulators...it's just that you add a second first stage and air source.

I don't use a second 2nd stage when using the pony for solo diving; K.I.S.S. You don't need to donate when solo diving, that is real solo diving, not same ocean buddy diving. If you did find yourself in a situation where you must donate to another diver bear in mind one of you will have a very small supply of air; don't try to fix anything just surface!

Necklace the pony's 2nd stage around your neck, always there easy to find; K.I.S.S.

I'd put some counter weight on my tank on the opposite side from the pony. Use the tanks band(s)

I've tried slinging and tank mounting my 19 and find I don't like either setup. My preferred rig for solo OW is a set of IDs. K.I.S.S

Wouldn't put it on the main tank. Can't see it, can't give it away. How do you know it has air in it? Is it turned on, if so has the air bled off for some reason? If it is turned off, how do you turn it on? YMMV but I prefer it slung.

Wouldn't put it on the main tank. Can't see it, can't give it away. How do you know it has air in it? Is it turned on, if so has the air bled off for some reason? If it is turned off, how do you turn it on? YMMV but I prefer it slung.

My solution to all that is a SPG, an inline on/off and OPRV. Turn on valve, test, use inline to "shut off" second stage. SPG should stay the same with no bleed down. If SPG bleeds down abort dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom