Pony Bottle Regulator Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems too many pony bottles are filled with nasty gas :D

Seriously, for a rec diver, if the pony is full and the reg works, who cares was gas it in it. You screwed up, you were smart enough to have a plan B & your on the way up. Arguments on what gas is best, what type of reg, how to carry it, etc... are secondary. I think its much wiser to exercise those grey cell on how not to get into the situation in the first place.
If you are using more than a 6 cu-ft bottle and IF you exceed the MOD of your gas, AND you begin to feel bad.. it might be nice to be able to switch over to air from a pony? Also if you dive past recreational depths with a pony on occasion, who wants to dump nitrox and then use air for just the deeper dives...Just more trouble

I have the same set-up.

edit, missed the quote

pony has one reg, mini pressure gage. Second stage bungie'd around my next with a quick release clip.

If you are using more than a 6 cu-ft bottle and IF you exceed the MOD of your gas, AND you begin to feel bad.. it might be nice to be able to switch over to air from a pony? Also if you dive past recreational depths with a pony on occasion, who wants to dump nitrox and then use air for just the deeper dives...Just more trouble

I use air in my pony's not because its a better gas, but because it makes regular practice and keeping it topped off much more practical regardless of my location. That trumps any advantage of a specific mix in my opinion.

No you don't

Can you please enlighten me as to how you work out MOD if you don't know the % oxygen in the gas mix? I was lead to believe that the formulae was;

Maximum normal exposure to oxygen (nominally 1.4 for the working part of the dive)/% oxygen in the mix=Max Operating Depth (in ATA)
Note: (Maximum absolute exposure = 1.6)
(ATA-1)*10= depth (metres)
Thus an example
50% Nitrox 1.4/0.5=2.8 ATA which equals a working MOD of 18 metres depth.
50% Nitrox 1.6/0.5=3.2 ATA which equals an absolute MOD of 22 metres depth.

Now thats what I was taught and what TDI have in their manuals, if you have some magic easy way of working it out, I would love to know what it is??? But in any regard from the info I have here you need the fraction of oxygen to work out MOD? I don't know any other way?

---------- Post added March 24th, 2013 at 03:16 PM ----------

My recommendation to any recreational diver who chooses to carry a pony bottle as a backup/emergency supply (which I think is a good thing, as long as you are comfortable doing it and don't see it as a card to use that makes you safe to do anything you want). Simply use air, as it fits all the criteria for your needs;

• Safe to use to greater than your certified depth
  • No risk regarding MOD when used as a backup/emergency supply, thus no thought as to what depth and gas can I use when in a high stress situation
  • Easy to get filled and no extra cost in gas mix
  • No need to have the cylinder cleaned for Nx
Given you are not doing deco either, why take on the additional risk. Even if you get sucked down to say 55 metres (well below your certification level) by a down current, you are still safe to use your backup gas if needed.
If you did fill it with Nx then what % are you going to ask for and why that particular mix? I think KISS principle applies (Keep It Simple Stupid) and that's what I apply to myself. Murphy is always lurking so KISS.

Assuming a recreational dive to no more than 100 -110 feet, with a mandatory deco stop, and an OOA emergency, would a 6 cu.ft. pony be enough for the diver to make a proper ascent without issues? Someone earlier mentioned the rule of 3rds for a pony, so diving with an AL80 would "require" a 30 cu.ft. bottle, a little bit unwieldy for a rec. diver not doing a cave or wreck penetration dive, don't you think?

Thoughts?

Thanks - Samer

Assuming a recreational dive to no more than 100 -110 feet, with a mandatory deco stop, and an OOA emergency, would a 6 cu.ft. pony be enough for the diver to make a proper ascent without issues? Someone earlier mentioned the rule of 3rds for a pony, so diving with an AL80 would "require" a 30 cu.ft. bottle, a little bit unwieldy for a rec. diver not doing a cave or wreck penetration dive, don't you think?

Thoughts?

Thanks - Samer
Thoughts.... do the math....How far can I drive on a gallon of gas?

That depends on your car's gas mileage, or in this case on your breathing efficiency, the length of your ascent and of your mandatory deco stop. I guess my question is a little rhetorical, or rather questioning if my 6 cu.ft. pony would do me any good in that scenario.

Thanks - Samer

Thoughts?

Thanks - Samer
The rule of thirds is for all your gases and allows for usage there, usage back and emergency supply (for you or your buddy). Given the pony isn't part of your "normal" gas usage I see it as emergency use only. Your back gas should be rule of thirds. The pony bottle (for me anyway if I was diving recreational), is enough gas to ascent from the deepest point in my dive, do deco and surface with some air remaining (only on the emergency pony supply). This means you then have to plan your dive ahead of time (which most rec divers don't usually do).

So, on that assumption, what's the absolute deepest depth you will be exposed to (assuming some error due to down currents), maybe 130-150 foot maximum. What's the run time from that depth to deco stop, calculated deco stops, what’s your normal air consumption, and adding some for Murphy. Your pony should allow for all of this. Its all in the maths.

The minimum size pony I have is 3 litre (25cu ft) which I consider a baby bottle. I wouldn't say it’s unwieldy at all. Next size is 5.7 litre (40 cu ft). Good size for deco stops etc and good backup. If I was going to use a pony for emergency in a rec dive I would use 3 litre (24 cu ft) as a minimum and that's just off the top of my head no planning assuming I am diving to say 30 metres. It’s a small cylinder, easily slung and used and not heavy or bulky by any means but should get me safely to the surface with air to spare.

For me, all these “spare air” cylinders I have seen are toys made to a price, sold to divers who want to feel good about their safety; they are not serious gear to be used (but to me) feel good items only. Now that's just my opinion and I am sure many divers do like them and what they offer (I know some air is better than non at all). A 6 cu ft cylinder will give you about 2-3 minutes at depth max, a 25 cu ft will give you about 8 min at depth max. If you are pushed to say 55 metres by a down current your air usage will go way up due to stress so assume SAC 30l/m by 6.5 ATA=195 l/m and your toy cylinder holds 169 litres so you have about 40 sec air, the 3 litre cylinder will give you about 3.5 minutes of air.

Plan your dive and do the maths. Feeling good and not feeling bulky might be a great feeling but it just doesn’t work out when you do the maths. If you don’t like a sling tank then an alternative is twin independents or manifolded twins, BUT yes they are bulkier and heavier and you do need to understand how to handle them as well but they do give good backup. All food for thought I am sure.
Before I went tech I used to do the “normal” rec diving, suck the cylinder way down with not a lot of reserve. Maybe take a pony sometimes. After the course it opened my eyes to how I should be diving and how to properly calculate air supplies and reserves. All of a sudden one realises that an 11 litre (90 cu ft) cylinder doesn’t hold much bottom time gas if you plan properly, so its either less bottom time or more gas.

Peter 69_56: Thank you for the insight, and very informative as usual!

Thank you - Samer

Samer my pleasure. My objective is to help others and promote good discussion as its also a learning exercise for me too. I am not into egos or pissing competitions that doesn't help anyone. We all grow and become better divers if we discuss things with respect for others. That's my objective anyway I don't know about others

Back
Top Bottom