Pony Bottle Regulator Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter69_56: Thank you for the reply and the pointer. I found the website and it is www.DIR-diver.com, great info.

chrpai: Don't worry about my feelings, dude. People come to discussion forums because they share a common passion, and in my case, to gain some added knowledge, not to be lectured or addressed in a condescending manner. Once again, had you read the entire thread, you would have noticed how other members of this forum had constructive criticism and advice to offer, and easily convinced me to give up on the idea of Nitrox for the pony bottle.

Thanks - Samer

Always interesting to see how discussions develop and take turns along the way..... but I have a question:

I dive with a pony and in the process of changing to sling mounting vs dealing with mounting it on my back, so whats the purpose of diving with the system closed but pressurized. I get the closed, but why pressurized??

Joe

I get the closed, but why pressurized??

Closed stops your gas accidentally leaking away.

Pressurized stops your regulator flooding.

Without the reg pressurized, and depression of the purge valve, or small leak around the first stage/cylinder valve, would allow water into the reg.

Always interesting to see how discussions develop and take turns along the way..... but I have a question:

I dive with a pony and in the process of changing to sling mounting vs dealing with mounting it on my back, so whats the purpose of diving with the system closed but pressurized. I get the closed, but why pressurized??

Joe

I recently purchased a Nitrox sling cylinder from my ex instructor who passed away suddenly. On looking at the regulators, they were a mess. Clearly students had used the rig and not pressurised the regulators before jumping in. Both the secondary and primary were full of salt and muck. I had the whole setup cleaned fully and serviced. On my next dive I decided I would try diving with the regulators fully in service. After about 10 min into the dive the reg started free flowing (due to the secondary reg not being set properly. Now I have a problem, let it flow and lose all of my gas, turn it off and flood the regulators again. I chose to turn it off and crack it every few minutes to at least hopefully keep the primary regulator clear of water. On the deco stop it free flowed badly even in use. It did highlight the exact reasons why you charge the system before getting into the water then shut it off (and I then recharge it after hitting the water in case it free flows on entry and dumps the line pressure), and only turn it back on when you want to use it. You can get a shutoff valve just before the secondary regulator which will at least save the primary reg if the secondary free flows. The issue with this is that if the primary regulator is allowing the gas pressure to climb and not regulate properly you can in fact blow the LP line. If I chose to use the shutoff valve I will charge the line, shut off the valve then shut of the tank valve, thus maintaining stable pressure in the LP line and save the primary regulator. Complicated and frustrating. In time I will replace the reg set for a more reliable one which is the real issue here.

Once again, had you read the entire thread, you would have noticed how other members of this forum had constructive criticism and advice to offer, and easily convinced me to give up on the idea of Nitrox for the pony bottle.

Actually, you didn't even start this thread. Your first entry was on message #21. My reply to you was message #22 so don't lecture me about how others already convinced you. My subsequent messages were directed at others who were questioning my opinion there was anything critical to learn about nitrox.

You took an unknown reg, with a history of rough treatment, onto a deco dive...as your deco reg... straight from service... on your very first use of it?

There's a good learning point in that kids...

I took a fully serviced reg on a deco dive that I had used previously. It was actually its second dive, the first being a brief dive under a pier and the second was a deco dive. In the short dive it seemed to work fine. So on my next "real" dive................... I was trying to make a point about why charge the line....... practical experience. Why is it that people feel the need to point score..... rather than ask a question first? and find out if the case is something that needs to be discussed? As the "under pier" dive was only shallow to settle everything I didn't consider it a "DIVE" as such hence my remark "on my next dive", apologies for the mistake.

It seems too many pony bottles are filled with nasty gas :D

Seriously, for a rec diver, if the pony is full and the reg works, who cares was gas it in it. You screwed up, you were smart enough to have a plan B & your on the way up. Arguments on what gas is best, what type of reg, how to carry it, etc... are secondary. I think its much wiser to exercise those grey cell on how not to get into the situation in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom