Pony bottle set-up question/mixing 1st and 2nd stage regulator brands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdorr68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I just ordered a 19cf pony bottle and a Sherwood Magnum regulator to go with it. I am confident using this set-up for deep dives, the only knock being that I owned a Magnum as my first primary reg and it had a tendency to breath wet in unconventional positions. Other then that, it was great.
My current octo is a XTX40 by Apeks.
My question is, or the advice I am seeking is,
1) can the balanced piston 1st stage of the Sherwood be mated up with the Apeks xtx40 2nd stage which usually uses a over-balanced diapham 1st stage?
2) would anyone recommend this set up as opposed to keeping the Magnum complete? are there any benefits?
Hope this doesn't sound like a foolish question, just trying to increase my equipment knowledge.

Do you know the intermediate pressure specification ? If the intermediate pressures are different, whether lower or higher, it may degrade the breathing.

They're just two separate adjustable valves, and you control the IP to your liking. There's no intrinsic connection; just a hose (or simple physical connection.)

Have FUN w/your pony!

I would not use the Magnum since they have have the Sherwood dry bleed in the first stage. To keep the regulator safe it will need to remain pressurized though out the dive. Common practice is to charge and shut it down to rule out accidental loss of air. If you do this with the dry bleed the chamber will eventually balance with the outside and you will be counting on the poppet check valve to keep the chamber safe. That plastic poppet is not very convincing and you will always wonder.

I have a spare Oasis I am using on my pony and when I have forgotten to turn it on pre-dive I have caught water in there. I'm looking to replace that 1st stage at some point but would suggest not going there. Other than that it's a bullet proof rig.

Pete

I had just checked and they do. The website describes it obliquely but the review comes out and says it.

Pete

How will you be mounting the pony bottle? If it is backmounted it will be turned on most likely. The dry bleed system will bleed an inconsequential volume of air during a dive.. Even several dives. I myself recently switched out my first stage and have been using the sherwood dry bleed system for a while.

I would not use the Magnum since they have have the Sherwood dry bleed in the first stage. To keep the regulator safe it will need to remain pressurized though out the dive. Common practice is to charge and shut it down to rule out accidental loss of air. If you do this with the dry bleed the chamber will eventually balance with the outside and you will be counting on the poppet check valve to keep the chamber safe. That plastic poppet is not very convincing and you will always wonder.

I have a spare Oasis I am using on my pony and when I have forgotten to turn it on pre-dive I have caught water in there. I'm looking to replace that 1st stage at some point but would suggest not going there. Other than that it's a bullet proof rig.

Pete

Thank you spectrum for your useful analysis. In my case I always start the dive with the valve open, just personal preference cuz I don't want to require an extra step of myself in the event I would need to go for my back-up air supply.

---------- Post Merged at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:22 PM ----------

How will you be mounting the pony bottle? If it is backmounted it will be turned on most likely. The dry bleed system will bleed an inconsequential volume of air during a dive.. Even several dives. I myself recently switched out my first stage and have been using the sherwood dry bleed system for a while.

Hi dumpsterDiver,

It will be mounted in front of the right hand side of the wing on my Hollis HD-100 BC(nicely set up to receive a pony).
I have a 13cf pony bottle now with a Sherwood Brut reg that I use for shallow dives and it works good in that set up. As mentioned by spectrum above, a friend also advised me of the dry bleed design of the fist stage and said to keep the valve open which is ok for me.
I think from what I have read so far that it is not a problem mating up the Sherwood 1st and the Apeks 2nd. I didn't think it would be, but would be nice to hear from others who have done something similar to learn from their experiences, pros and cons.

Thank you all for the advice so far,
Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom