Pony bottle vs. Spare Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

As everyone has told you the difference I won't. But when teaching I prefer a pony. If I ran into an out of air situation I can unclip my pony clip it to someone and back away. Not going to make another poblem. A spare air might bring you to the surface from about 40 ft. I don't know your SAC rate. It just does not hold enough air.

Hello,

As everyone has told you the difference I won't. But when teaching I prefer a pony. If I ran into an out of air situation I can unclip my pony clip it to someone and back away. Not going to make another poblem. A spare air might bring you to the surface from about 40 ft. I don't know your SAC rate. It just does not hold enough air.

Is it common for students to run out of air during your classes?

Good question Slim...

Is it common for students to run out of air during your classes?

It is not unusual for a pony to be brought to a rescue class to teach the self rescue portion of the course.

It is not unusual to teach a student how to deploy and fill a pony for use on the deep dive section of the AOW.

It is not a bad thing to introduce the concept to OW students if you had time.

Right?

I dunno, waiting for his answer - but he may be off diving this weekend. Wish I was. No rush...

My personal contribution( i.e. $.02and maybe not worth anymore) when this question arises, and it may have already been said, is that whenever I hear stories of thingS gone wrong underwater it's rarely just one thing. Its typically more than one thing going wrong at the same time and for that I want more than the few breaths a spare air will give me.

My personal contribution( i.e. $.02and maybe not worth anymore) when this question arises, and it may have already been said, is that whenever I hear stories of thingS gone wrong underwater it's rarely just one thing. Its typically more than one thing going wrong at the same time and for that I want more than the few breaths a spare air will give me.
You carry a pony, Bill?

Well this certainly has had some passionate chatter. I think all the OP questions have been asked and answered so this is just info from me. I am relatively new to diving and I pondered getting the spare air. After much debate and research I decided to go with the Zeagle pony bottle system. I have it attached to my BCD behind my right shoulder/arm and I take it with me on every dive. It also travels with me to tropical destinations. It is easily disassembled to get through airport security and easily assembled and filled when I get where I am going. Laugh all they want in warm waters, my pony is my new best friend! I have only used it to keep familiar with its use and to check the setup when I don't 'need' it. My plan is to never need it but I sure am glad I have it. It can easily be passed to someone in need and would qualify as an alternative air source, in a class, where spare air would not. If I decide to go to a bigger bottle I could use the 1st/2nd stage. I think it is satisfactory for recreational diving and while dive buddies are always a must, self help should be as well.

on the weight issue....just a comment. I've got my lead down to 20lbs. I dive the lightest bc with the lightest gear, wear an aluminum 80, and now I'm as light as I can be!!(no bailout here!!!). But I'm sure gonna have fun with my 50lb scooter i'm hauling down the beach to the water!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom