Pony bottle - what size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me no big deal to sling a 40 cuft also good for a stage or Deco bottle if you decide to get into that type of diving, I look at the SDI Solo course like a Intro To Tech course.

Rather have to much air than not enough in a emergency situation where my SAC could increase maybe 3 times my normal rate.

An AL 20cuft cylinder slung on off shoulder/hip Drings works fine for me on deeper rec dives. You can also pass-off to a OOA or LOA diver quite easy....

wait.... did he say spare air is junk? why? im not saying they arent, i just got one and havent used it under water, so i dont know. i dont want to be stuck....

wait.... did he say spare air is junk? why? im not saying they arent, i just got one and havent used it under water, so i dont know. i dont want to be stuck....

3Cu Ft. If at depth hardy enough gas to properly ascend much less effect a safety stop especially with the burden of likely increased gas consumption due to a stressfull event.

Last edited:
...and they aren't much less expensive than a true stage bottle.

Have a look at the spreadsheet I put together:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/at...bottle-what-size-ponybottlesizechart_v2_1.xls

The spare air won't last long at any sort of depth. I understand they were originally developed to give crashed pilots a couple of extra minutes to escape a sinking aircraft near the surface. They are not sized to supply an adequate reserve near the bottom.

so still good to have if diving solo in <50ft with nothing over head. ive got the 3c.ft

As long as you aren't filling it with a freeflow-o-matic adapter from the first stage you are diving with...

Tom

As long as you aren't filling it with a freeflow-o-matic adapter from the first stage you are diving with...

Tom

huh?

im filling it with the adapter that came with it. it hooks to the tank valve on my al80

Not really Ryco.
First, if you do decide to solo someday you will probably not want to restrict yourself to less than 50ft forever. So, when you do decide to go deeper you will wind up repurchasing a proper redundant air source. If you can return it, consider doing so, and just buy a proper pony once.

Second, after awhile you may find that for dives less than 50ft you won't want a redundant airsource. My plan at those depths is just to CESA. Redundancy really comes into play (for me) on dives below a depth that I feel I can comfortably CESA from. That's just my opinion though, everybody has to make their own decisions about that.

I'm not rabidly anti spareair. I just think it is a purchase that has a very limited application that most divers will probably grow out of rather quickly. Then it's just stuck on a shelf or sold on ebay at a loss. A good sized pony will last you throughout your diving career and can even become a deco/O2 bottle if you get into tech, caving etc...

The big selling feature for spare air is that it is small and easy to carry. You will find however, that most people that use proper ponies don't have an issue with slinging or mounting them. It is a non issue. As well the reg set from your pony can be used in a pinch if you need to replace a 1st or 2nd stage on a dive. You may also want to check if the shops in your area will service the spareair reg set and whether you can get hydros done on it.

Back
Top Bottom