Pony Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the sake of clarity, I can't remember what SAC I assumed. I plan to look it up when I find those old files.

I assumed an ascent rate of 60 fpm from depth to 30 ft, and 30 fpm thereafter (plus a 3-min safety at 20 ft), consistent with my basic OW training.

Edit: I did factor in a 1-min dwell at depth.

But again:

All divers need a BC.*

*99.9% true

While it feels really good to have you think I am a .1 percent-er, I'm of the opinion that a BC is just a convenience and a more truthful statement would be that 99.9% need a BC to "dive well" (leaving me still feeling all warm and fuzzy). :eyebrow:

You don't "need" a spare tire to drive your car, but I think most folks' desire for one is more than a "want". It's a wise redundancy for a critical piece of gear. So far, I've never needed my spare tire. Doesn't make me think it's a waste of time or resources carrying it, nor is the fact that I haven't needed it a good argument not to carry one.

Same for ponies. I've never needed mine. Hope I never do. But it's a wise redundancy, and not really much of a difficulty to carry. And just like the spare tire, when you do need it, it better be full of air, but that doesn't happen magically - gotta check it regularly.

Yet unlike a spare tire, you're going to have to switch to your pony FAST, so it's worth practicing - last dive of the weekend is a good time to practice switching to the pony and ascending on it (presuming you've got plenty of gas in your primary cylinder as a backup).

You don't "need" a spare tire to drive your car, but I think most folks' desire for one is more than a "want". It's a wise redundancy for a critical piece of gear. So far, I've never needed my spare tire. Doesn't make me think it's a waste of time or resources carrying it, nor is the fact that I haven't needed it a good argument not to carry one.

Same for ponies. I've never needed mine. Hope I never do. But it's a wise redundancy, and not really much of a difficulty to carry. And just like the spare tire, when you do need it, it better be full of air, but that doesn't happen magically - gotta check it regularly.

Yet unlike a spare tire, you're going to have to switch to your pony FAST, so it's worth practicing - last dive of the weekend is a good time to practice switching to the pony and ascending on it (presuming you've got plenty of gas in your primary cylinder as a backup).

Even though I'm pretty mechanically inclined I'd rather have roadside assistance come get my truck and take it to have a new tire put on it than have to jack around with a donut spare on the side of most roads I frequent. I've done it once myself and it was a PITA.

Likewise, I'd rather turn to my buddy for waterside assistance in an OOA situation than jack with a pony bottle.

Different strokes for different folks. YMMV.

But I am sure that every year over 100 people get run over and killed while changing a spare tire for their flat near the side of the road. Would they have died if they did not have a spare? Probably not. Therefore, be it resolved that spare tires kill people. :sarcasm:

Even though I'm pretty mechanically inclined I'd rather have roadside assistance come get my truck and take it to have a new tire put on it than have to jack around with a donut spare on the side of most roads I frequent. I've done it once myself and it was a PITA.

Likewise, I'd rather turn to my buddy for waterside assistance in an OOA situation than jack with a pony bottle.

I didn't specifically use a donut spare in my analogy, nevertheless that does seem especially appropriate, so let's run with it...

Roadside assistance is of course very handy and much easier than a donut. But lots of stretches of road don't even have cell signal, leaving you solo... in which case a donut spare is better than just sitting by the roadside.

Different strokes for different folks. YMMV.

Yup - Some folks choose to always travel in a caravan, so it doesn't matter if they do or don't have signal, there's always help nearby. Others of us can't always find pals to travel with, or conversely we find most of the other travellers somewhat annoying, or simply prefer to be more self-sufficient. Either way, we end up driving alone, so for us it's at least a donut spare.

However, I think neither type of traveller would trust one of those "Spares in a Can" to truly get themselves back on the road - while it might work for a very small leak or if you were already very close to your destination, neverthless it's just too much risk. At least a donut, maybe a full-size spare (although that can be heavy!), and then there are those who can afford the fancy tires that never really run flat, and always have optimal pressure - they just seem to have an infinite source and make air out of nothing. :wink:

But I am sure that every year over 100 people get run over and killed while changing a spare tire for their flat near the side of the road. Would they have died if they did not have a spare? Probably not. Therefore, be it resolved that spare tires kill people. :sarcasm:

I guess the way I look at it is the same with most equipment: if you don't know how to safely install and use your spare tire, it's probably best not to do it!

Juesus folks i just wated to know how to rig a pony on a BCD jacket And advice on the methord of carrying the thing...(TANKK MOUNT OR SLING)

I need the PONY coz i regulaly dive to 30-40m on single tank & believe i am pushing it because my buddy is also on single tank...and in case of emergancy (i mean equipment failure) at that depth (YET TO HAPPEN BUT..???***) we both will be in pretty much in the thick of it..

So guys be decent and appreciate your comment on how to configure the PONY
(01) On a tank
(02) And how to sling it

So i can try both ways and see which works best for me...

AS all you know THIS SUBJECT IS NOT COVERED IN OW or AOW classes

Google to find examples of the different types of back-mounted clamps.

Google to find examples of slung tanks.

Work out your rock bottom gas, SAC etc....to determine the cylinder size you need.

OK folks. I've been following along and guess i'm simple, because I still don't get why a pony bottle is bad if you're not carrying it as a crutch for poor gas management skills, but as a redundant airsource in case of equipment failure.

I can dive without a cutting tool, but I carry two.

I can night dive without a backup light, but I carry two.

I don't really need a sausage, whistle, signal mirror, etc. to dive, yet carry them.

When I first started diving, there were no octos and nobody had BCs, just Mae West collars...yet I use a BC and an alternate air source.

How is a pony bottle on deep dives any different?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom