• Manifolded doubles

Votes: 31 40.3%
  • single main cylinder with pony bottle

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • Single main cylinder with stage bottle

Votes: 18 23.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I like to use a stage-slung pony bailout bottle. I like this configuration becuase I will already be used to the location/weight/use of it when I can finally afford to take my adv nitrox and extended range classes. Then my stage-slung pony/bailout bottle gets transformed into a stage-slung pony/deco bottle.

This config also eliminates the possibility of loosing the pressure from this tank without notice. Reg is right there to seen, as is the valve and matings. Second, why would you leave the bottle turned on? I leave mine off. This would prevent the accidental loss of gas by a huge margin. Pressurize on surface, check secondary reg, check SPG, turn bottle off, but leave reg pressureized. If you need it, its right there to turn on and use.

FD

Soggy:
No, it wouldn't be a stage, it would be a pony bottle....or bailout bottle. Take your pick :)

Nah, I'll continue to use a stage bottle hanging at my hip as my redundant air source. I won't call it a pony bottle because that would confuse most of the divers not in this room.

I call it a "horse bottle." It's a new concept for people who think that "stage bottle" means the same thing as "bottom stage." The horse bottle is used for the "bailout stage" of a dive, specifically.

As for the question in the thread, nothing has changed. Generally, when diving solo a single with an H valve is better than just a single. Twins are better than a single with an H valve. And two completely independent air sources are better than the twins.

*This is of course completely subject to levels of a divers training and what kind of environment is being dived.

As for the rest of this definition debate, for my part I'm embarrassed that I'm not drunk.

JB

RockPile:
*This is of course completely subject to levels of a divers training and what kind of environment is being dived.

The definitions I've provided work at all levels of diver training, which is why they are preferred and "correct."

Soggy:
I've never heard someone knowledgeable about technical diving referring to a 40 cft decompression bottle ... as a pony. :)
That's only 'cause you're so young :)
'Course "technical" diving was just diving then, too.
Rick

Soggy:
"correct."
I will not take the bait.
Rick

Soggy:
The definitions I've provided work at all levels of diver training, which is why they are preferred and "correct."

I was refering to the selection of tank configuration. For example, someone might not have done enough valve drills to operate twins. Or there are lots of entanglement hazards and a "horse bottle" wouldn't do.

Not talking about the definitions (I wasn't clear, my bad)...but it's good to see you still think you're right. I was worried that you had given the issue some thought. :)

JB

Rick Murchison:
Rick

I put it in quotes for a reason, so there is no need :)

RockPile:
I was worried that you had given the issue some thought. :)
Now that one needed a coke alert!
Heh, heh... :wink:
Rick

Soggy:
I have, you just didn't notice because you were busy ignoring what I had to say :)

Easy, chief. That's not entirely true.

Soggy:

Soggy:
I put it in quotes for a reason, so there is no need :)

So are your definitions correct or not? Or is it like a middle ground thing? A world-class preacher once said to me "take your pick."

JB

Back
Top Bottom