Pony tanks/secondary air supply

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

off the grid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wondering how many people dive PSD with pony tanks/or some secondary air supply. If there are any teams that require it? If there are any teams that don't want them?

In Canada its a requirement unless you're buddy diving (using octos) with no chance of a loss in vis, entanglement or hazard - which for PSD would be... never.

We use 19cf pony if on Scuba, Usea a full size tank for the bailout if on surface supply.

Our SCUBA Team requires a 19 cu.ft. pony with a quick release attachment on the primary tank.

What type of quick release system do you have? I presently have metal brackets on the BC strap and on the pony which link together with pins. I want to change them out since I know that if I had to pull the pony in black water it would be really difficult.

We have pockets integrated into the BC which can hold a 19cf pony on each side of the tank, however we only use 1 side.

Our team does not require it as we are volunteer and supply all our own equipment but several members use them anyway. I dive a 19 usually for PSD stuff unless its deeper than 40' then its a 40 and deeper than 60 which almost never happens as we are limited as a team to 60' but I would go in double 80's. We currently dont have surface supply.

What type of quick release system do you have? I presently have metal brackets on the BC strap and on the pony which link together with pins. I want to change them out since I know that if I had to pull the pony in black water it would be really difficult.

This is probably the best one on the market - but its expensive
Welcome to TigerGear...the best Pony Bottle Rapid Mounting System on the planet!
They come off real nice and are rock solid

There are a host of other mounts that are functional but may flop around (not a huge deal). Just make sure that the pony can be released easily u/w by the back-up diver in zero vis - some don't work so well at this

Back
Top Bottom