Pony's best configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I note a common theam among anti-DIR folk.

They don't get DIR.

Did you know you can take DIR F in a poodle jacket with split fins, a snorkle and an AIR II?

so to say someone is a stroke emphisis that they are not as good as a DIR diver.

Yes and no. I dive with a lot of people who are not DIR. Do I think I am a better diver than they are? Some of them. Others, no way. I dive with one guy who is a much better diver than I am and he is not DIR. I learn a lot from him.

Where the hell is this going? I don't think anyone I dive with is a stroke. I think a stroke is "an unsafe diver". I use the term in jest a lot, but I only know one or two strokes in real life. The funny thing is, one of the non-DIR people I dive with calls one guy we know a stroke all the time...it isn't just DIR people who use the term, this guy is really unsafe!

Now I'm lost........what the hell is POS??

Preference
Over
Standardization

My term for "the other guys"..

AquaTec once bubbled...
do you realize that the word stroke was invented by the DIR community to describe non DIR divers.

Actually I believe it was invented by George Irvine, and propagated by certain 'aggressive' followers...

I once felt that all DIR divers were those followers, but the fact of the matter is you can have plenty of useful and educational discussions with DIR divers, as long as you keep an open mind...

[Doah.. did I actually type good things about DIR divers???]

Spectre once bubbled...

Actually I believe it was invented by George Irvine, and propagated by certain 'aggressive' followers...

I once felt that all DIR divers were those followers, but the fact of the matter is you can have plenty of useful and educational discussions with DIR divers, as long as you keep an open mind...

[Doah.. did I actually type good things about DIR divers???]

Yes I agree, I only have met three GUE/DIR divers in person.
two where great people and one was the sterio type you would expect. but that could probably be said of any demigraphics. of the two that where "normal" i had some great discussions with.

I think your quote of keeping an open mind presonifies the whole problem. DIR divers state that if "POS" divers would just keep an open mind, i beleive that is what defines their whole attitude about diving is open mindedness, taking the best from many different things to suit their specific types of diving. whereas DIR are just the opposite, willing to preach but unwilling to listen [deffinition of a closed minded person] so if the conversation could go both ways and be open minded on both ends then both groups could probably learn a lot from each other.

isn't G I and DIR the same thing. being a high prestest and all.

just a final thought slightly altered quote "but the fact of the matter is you can have plenty of useful and educational discussions with DIR divers, as long as you/they keep an open mind..."

...because it seriously is never an issue when the groups of people I dive with hang out (2 non-DIR dive clubs and 1 DIR club). We don't really talk about it and everybody dives and has a good time. The only place I get into DIR arguments is online. I like the way I dive and I don't particularly want to change it. Will I listen to what you have to say, yes, but that doesn't mean I will agree with it just because you find some obscure hole in the DIR system or some contradiction...heck, I point them out myself. It is the same **** that the non-DIR crowd does. They like the way they dive and don't particularly want to change it based on what I or anyone else has to say about DIR. We are going to keep butting heads because when someone asks a question you answer it from a non-DIR standpoint and I may answer from a DIR standpoint. This turns into a yelling match between us about which way is better and the person who asks the question gets a 400 post thread that has nothing to do with his/her question and goes elsewhere to get information because they think we are a bunch of Neanderthals in here... (actually, more like Homo erectus or maybe Homo habilis...Neanderthals were actually more civilized than we are at times).

I cannot explain DIR and am a crappy ambassador for it...but, regardless of what you think about DIR, if you take a DIRF, I bet you will want to dive like your instructors before you get done with the class.

P.S. I am kidding about the POS thing...that's like you calling DIR a religion.

O-ring
I think your points are well said.

enough name calling, if thats what it is.

you are a good ambassador as you leave your attitude at the door.

just don;t stop evolving into a better diver, weather it be DIR or what ever you call your style of diving.

DIR = Religion, if that is an offensive analogy then i will try not to use it [try]
but can you give me the deffinition of a religion from a dictionary

O-ring once bubbled...
...This turns into a yelling match between us about which way is better and the person who asks the question gets a 400 post thread that has nothing to do with his/her question and goes elsewhere to get information because they think we are a bunch of Neanderthals in here...

Give the man a Cigar. We have discovered the problem. Now how do we fix it?

Chad

AquaTec once bubbled...
whereas DIR are just the opposite, willing to preach but unwilling to listen [deffinition of a closed minded person] so if the conversation could go both ways and be open minded on both ends then both groups could probably learn a lot from each other.

Yes, I left out the part about DIR divers willing to listen, but no, not all DIR divers are closed minded.

In fact, there is a thread here somewhere where Uncle Pug threw out an open invitation for anyone to explain why their way is better... Yes, if you wanted in, you were in for a debate, but I still took it as a willingness to keep an open mind...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom