Pony's best configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

like i said i like your points of view.

however is any one way better than another, or are they just differnt ways of accomplishing the same mission

AquaTec once bubbled...
however is any one way better than another, or are they just differnt ways of accomplishing the same mission

*shrug* I'm learning as I go along. When I find problems, I start looking for solutions... Much of the time I find the solution I need is part of the DIR config, but occasionally I find issues that I prefer a different solution than the DIR solution.

A good example of this has to do with my pony bottle rigging. The evolution of my rigging is posted earlier in this thread. The 'problem' that came out of rigging my pony as a stage was that I couldn't draw my alternate across my body to keep it snug, as it got in the way of my pony bottle. Rigging it to my right harness caused my hose to stick out too far for my comfort and diving [a lot of bug hunting around wrecks].

So I needed a shorter hose for my alternate... bringing in another problem. So shortening my alternate hose was going to require another method for dealing with OOA... that answer was obviously a long hose... donating my primary ment needing my alternate in close proximity, and thus the bungied second.

Nice picture Stone,
Laughed so hard I almost pissed my pants.
I thought I was cool using a pony to inflate my daughters air matress, but you take the cake.
Knee pads would be a good addition though.

I bow to your supremisy.

Mike D
:blfish:

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

You just need a class in critical thinking Neil :D

And yes, as a matter of fact, a back mounted pony is much more prone to entanglement than a proper set of doubles.

:D

Heck, I'm a college professor, I don't need no stinking classes! :)

Your proof of the above statement is...where?
Just askin'.

Neil

PS-is there an "improper" set of doubles?

You would really be doing it right if you would get the correct long hose and change that regulator to an apexs. And yes, you forgot to bungee a hammer around your neck for those OOA contigencies. Try 30.12% NitrOx for tad deeper nail penetrations. And stop hitting the bottle all the time.

Neil, as a college professor I am astonished at this statement from you...

PS-is there an "improper" set of doubles?

How 'bout double negatives... never sign "I ain't gots no air"... it only adds to the confusion...

Then there are double adjectives... never sign "swim really, really fast or that thar shark's gonna et us." It will take too long and you will have been et already!

Then there is Doublemint gum... If you chew don't dive and if you dive, don't chew. It mucks up the regulator (of course you could always donate it to some hapless bloke) and blowing bubbles at depth might result in a runaway ascent. Just say "NO"

The list could go on, such as double entendres, double meat at Subway, you get the picture... and you claim to have critical thought!!!

double whammy
double date
double trouble
double cross
double dare
double jeopardy

While I sling my 40cfu pony, I see lots of divers that back mount, ask them about what they are going to do if they entangle their rig , the most common answer is "that's what my buddy is for."

On a somewhat realted note, lets remember that doubles aren't always the best rig for every dive. Also, lots of double divers I know carry a pony on certain dives (often an 80cfu back mounted between their doubles) to give them true redundancy in the freak case that they crack their manifold.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

In my experience with both.
Did you need further details Neil?
If so I can give reasons to the whys~n~wherefores.

While I do respect your experience, it's not proof of your assertion that ponies are a greater risk for entanglement. If you have some interesting anecdotes, I would enjoy hearing them.
Yes, Pug, I need further details. Thank you. :)

Neil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom