Port closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't cancel if the forecast was good on the off chance it would turn bad but the possibility of having a repeat of this week has me a bit spooked. Accuweather forecasts (again, I know they're basically an educated guess at this point) have wind speeds in the teens and gusts in the 20s for most of the days I'd be there. However they are predicting SE wind direction...so maybe that would be fine given what others have said about direction?

Bad wind is north, north west and west - east is AOK as the island blocks it all

So in the absence of diving, I got the 5 Nitrox holdouts in our group to get this certification yesterday! One left for Playa this morning to complete his last OW dive for his C card....so all wasn’t lost! We’ll receive credits for those dives not completed...8 each as of now.

sitting on the beach starring out at the whitecaps. I’m just fine relaxing:)

It would
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't cancel if the forecast was good on the off chance it would turn bad but the possibility of having a repeat of this week has me a bit spooked. Accuweather forecasts (again, I know they're basically an educated guess at this point) have wind speeds in the teens and gusts in the 20s for most of the days I'd be there. However they are predicting SE wind direction...so maybe that would be fine given what others have said about direction?
be extremely premature to cancel a trip based on weather forecast 2 weeks out - that would be really silly actually. And SE wind is perfect - anything from the east is perfect

Yup...I helped certify a couple a few months ago. As with all the classes I help with, I rant and rave about Cozumel. They called and asked me how I do it and I gave them more information than they probably wanted....they got there today.

In 5 years of 2-3 trips a year I've never been blown out. Their first dive trip and they hit this. Crap crap crap crap....... I hate this for them.

Maybe Friday.......

Jay
Are you an Instructor now?

Actually I would not make any plans on weather predictions 2 weeks out. First one I'd look at is south Texas cold fronts coming down from the north, then look at Windguru.com and see if a corresponding North Wind might be showing up 1 1/2 to 2 days later. I would not trust anything more than 5-6 days out.

And remember, direction is more important than wind speed. If it is bit to the east, usually no problem. WNW or due North will be ugly especially with high wind speed.

As to when, I am convinced that January is by far the worst month for Nortes. Indeed, I think it was in 2001 or two the port was closed for a whole week and many divers get not get wet their whole vacation. That was the impetus for Aldora to place boats on the eastside beach near Chin Rio, then investigate dive sites.

When those strong North Weast nortes hit and is so ugly on the west side, the eastsidew usually is flat as a lake. See photo attached.
Aldora Boats Ready.jpg

Actually I would not make any plans on weather predictions 2 weeks out. First one I'd look at is south Texas cold fronts coming down from the north, then look at Windguru.com and see if a corresponding North Wind might be showing up 1 1/2 to 2 days later. I would not trust anything more than 5-6 days out.

And remember, direction is more important than wind speed. If it is bit to the east, usually no problem. WNW or due North will be ugly especially with high wind speed.

As to when, I am convinced that January is by far the worst month for Nortes. Indeed, I think it was in 2001 or two the port was closed for a whole week and many divers get not get wet their whole vacation. That was the impetus for Aldora to place boats on the eastside beach near Chin Rio, then investigate dive sites.

When those strong North Weast nortes hit and is so ugly on the west side, the eastsidew usually is flat as a lake. See photo attached.View attachment 556410[/QUOTE

PS The eastside today looks just like the photo above. Very little wind and a good reason to visit coconuts

dave

Are you an Instructor now?
No Ma'am. I'm happy being the tank B*tch and just helping out in classes. A good friend is an independent instructor and I just help him out. As long as he is teaching, I won't even consider going for my instructors card. When he gives it up, I probably still won't but I may freelance out to shops with larger classes when they need help as a DM. I love helping out with the classes. We make a great team and have lots of fun teaching. We have a travel group as well and while many of us qualify for social security, (my wife and I are 51) we are still young enough to have a great time and take a couple of dive trips a year to carribean locations.

No matter where we go, I'd still rather be in Cozumel. There really is no place like "home." Maybe if I had some ruby encrusted fins...and clicked them together 3 times...Southwest would give me a lifetime travel pass!

Merry Christmas to you and your crew, thanks for spreading the Austin Vibe little further South!

I hope Santa brings you what you asked for, (He's bringing me a Perdix AI!!)
Jay

Tomorrow looks good as does Sunday morning dive time - Monday will be a blow out - but looking better by Tuesday afternoon for next week!

upload_2019-12-20_16-59-9.png

Fingers crossed...4 dives tomorrow would work just fine!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom