Portable platform for shore dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDiverJim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
On shore dives, I always find it interesting to see what people drag out of their trunk. I also like to observe how they pack their gear. I have learned and now utilize many of their ideas.
Some locations have wooden picnic benches and such for the divers to use. My instructor/dive buddy has this fold-able 2 x 2 table (work bench) that is the right height for donning and removing your tank. I have been doing a little research and did find a fold-able work platform/scaffold unit that maybe quite useful but.....I was curious what others have come up with.

So what things, other than your Scuba gear, can you suggest that make the pre / post dive more enjoyable.

I use my tailgate :wink:

People with cars around here often use X-tables.

For single tank diving, I find it easiest just to use a soft grassy area to get geared up, when possible. I stand the rig up, don it in a seated position, roll onto my knees, and then stand up. If I were older, less fit, or had any knee/back injuries, I'd probably get an X-table or something like it.

These work pretty well for me.
DSC00003_Small_.JPG

:rofl3: :rofl3:

Funny how words mean different things to different people.

Here I was wondering what sort of platform one was going to drag into the water, how they were going to anchor it securely while they were diving, and exactly why one would need an entry platform for their shore dives. Sorry, wrong image came to mind! :D

We used to simply set up the rigs at the car, and carry them down to the shore. To don them we did the old quick don, where you reached over the tank and grabbed the tank with your arms through the shoulder straps, lifted the tank over your head, and slid it down your back.
Then you cinched the belt, and began adjustments.

We are a bit older, and not quite so flexible now, though. Although I still occasionally don the old way, these days I usually look for a table or rock outcrop to set up on.

The X work tables do look very good, and I see them a lot where we have been training, and for some apps those roller boxes in the post above look pretty handy too.

For single tank diving, I use my tailgate. For doubles, I use an x-table (the x-table is slightly shorter than my tailgate, so I prefer that for the doubles).

I use my tailgate, and most of my car driving buddies do that same. I just drop my gear, push it inside, and then let them drop their gear.

QUOTE]

Hi Dave,
Those rolling bins look pretty great and may be just what we've been looking for...what's the brand name, if you don't mind?

thanks!
Steve

DSC00003_Small_.JPG

Are the tanks actually strapped to the cover, it's hard to see the detail of the strap near the top. They look very handy!

:rofl3: :rofl3:

Funny how words mean different things to different people.

Here I was wondering what sort of platform one was going to drag into the water, how they were going to anchor it securely while they were diving, and exactly why one would need an entry platform for their shore dives. Sorry, wrong image came to mind! :D

We used to simply set up the rigs at the car, and carry them down to the shore. To don them we did the old quick don, where you reached over the tank and grabbed the tank with your arms through the shoulder straps, lifted the tank over your head, and slid it down your back.
Then you cinched the belt, and began adjustments.

We are a bit older, and not quite so flexible now, though. Although I still occasionally don the old way, these days I usually look for a table or rock outcrop to set up on.

The X work tables do look very good, and I see them a lot where we have been training, and for some apps those roller boxes in the post above look pretty handy too.

Funny you sat that I was trying word my title carefully for the same reason. My first attempt sounded even more questionable.:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom