Portugese man of war everywhere(upper keys)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are not uncommon in Portugal, specially in the Azores.
Very different from box jellyfish as the "body" of the Portuguese man o' war floats, and the tentacles are much longer (can reach 30m).

So what does South Florida do when hundreds of man o' wars wash up on the beaches? In our area, they put out purple flags or marks on boards to alert beach-goers to the danger. People seem satisfied with that level of protection.

This is a sharp contrast to what I experienced 1.5 years ago during a family reunion in Rhode Island. We were on a public beach when someone apparently notified a lifeguard of a man o' war sighting. I don't believe its existence was actually confirmed. Another man found a common jelly, the kind that might give a minor sting. The lifeguards cleared the beach of all water activity for over an hour until they were sure there were no other sightings. Everyone crowded on the beach in the blazing sun waiting for a chance to go back in the water, while the man who had found the jelly strutted up and down the beach carrying a box with the jelly so that all could see the horror from which he had saved them. I suspect that if they had seen actual man o'war, they would have closed the beach for a month and summoned the national guard.

A few years ago, I watched a History Channel story titled something like "Jellyfish Invasion." It promised to warn viewers about the huge and alarming increase in the number of deadly jellies in certain parts of the world. For this report, they sent teams to two locations suffering from the invasions of two different kinds of jellies.

The first location was Australia, which they said was beset with hordes of box jellies. They said box jelly attacks are nearly always fatal, and to prove that point, the interviewed several survivors who showed off their scars. They sent divers to multiple places in search of this invasion, but they never found a single one. On one dive, they encountered a moon jelly and hurriedly left the water, glad to have lived through the experience. They then said an approaching storm would have to cut their mission short, so they had to end that portion of the show without spotting anything other than that single moon jelly.

The second location was Japan, where they are facing an invasion of a species of jelly that grows nearly to the size of a human. These enormous jellies are causing all sorts of problems there. Unfortunately, like the trip to Australia, they were unable to find one to demonstrate the size of the invasion.

The show still concluded with a warning about the alarming increase in these deadly jellies.

Rash guards will stop the sting, but the bastards seem to know where the bear skin is. Fortunately, they haven't made it to cave country. :D

Rash guards will stop the sting, but the bastards seem to know where the bear skin is. Fortunately, they haven't made it to cave country. :D
Just imagine a tight restriction to the exit that is now blocked on both sides by box jellies... who is the sacrificial monkey to clear a path?

Just imagine a tight restriction to the exit that is now blocked on both sides by box jellies... who is the sacrificial monkey to clear a path?
Bubbles.

So what does South Florida do when hundres of man o' wars wash up on the beaches? In our area, they put out purple flags or marks on boards to alert beach-goers to the danger. People seem satisfied with that level of protection.

This is a sharp contrast to what I experienced 1.5 years ago during a family reunion in Rhode Island. We were on a public beach when someone apparently notified a lifeguard of a man o' war sighting. I don't believe its existence was actually confirmed. Another man found a common jelly, the kind that might give a minor sting. The lifeguards cleared the beach of all water activity for over an hour until they were sure there were no other sightings. Everyone crowded on the beach in the blazing sun waiting for a chance to go back in the water, while the man who had found the jelly strutted up and down the beach carrying a box with the jelly so that all could see the horror from which he had saved them. I suspect that if they had seen actual man o'war, they would have closed the beach for a month and summoned the national guard.
john, my wife and i have been in tavernier (fl keys) diving with Conch Republic Divers since the first of january. winds have been out of the south east, driving the pelagic man o wars inshore. we see quite a few out on the reefs, no big deal. keep your eyes out going in and surfacing. most man o war here are a little bigger than a hot dog bun (the sail) tentacles are hanging down less than 10 feet. i will keep an eye out and try and get some pictures on the surface and underwater of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom