Possible Future Diver with PTSD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This post is hard for me but perhaps it's is for the best. My PTSD rating is due to MST (violent rape), I am not always comfortable with men BUT in my mind feel scuba will be a safe way to learn to trust them as I THINK no one would seek to harm me in so dangerous a environment.

Do you all think this will be an issue? My instructors are female right now have not dived with males yet.

Please honest comments not stupid comments about real men can't raped.

First, I applaud the fortitude it took to mention your experience.

Sadly, there are no guarantees. There are jerks and perverts in every endeavor. There have been a couple of cases described here on ScubaBoard of male instructors groping female students. And there may have been other incidents of almost any imaginable ilk.

However, it has been my experience that in general scuba divers tend to be rather nicer people than average. Statistically, I believe molestation occurrences on scuba to be extremely rare.

Dive in groups and/or with buddies you trust. But do dive. Not only is it a fantabulous activity, it's a great way to meet nice people. I met many of my friends through scuba.

Edward,

Ours is an uncertain world. You've made giant strides. Continue . . .

Nothing can be guaranteed, but I dare say that no instructor would put her/his career in jeopardy by committnig such an act as you imply.

I fell that you can march forward safely with no hesitation and with confidence that your dream to dive will be realized shortly.

Safe dives . . . . . .
. . . safer ascents !

the K

Thank you for your replies, the main reason I am using female instructors at this time is the just incase factor. I feel I will focus more on the instruction and learn better with out fear that my mind will wander to the realm of what ifs. I know I am going to go forward with open water lessons in the near future I also know I will not always be able to dive with a female diver but at least while Learning I do have that choice and I feel it will make me a more alert comfortable student.

I am also realizing that my Service Dog will not be with me during dives (waiting on the shore or boat) I will learn to adapt as best I can and if I do not feel safe diving then I will not it all comes down to common sense.

Dear Edward

You are being very brave sharing this with us. I have done nearly 350 dives and I can never recall a case where something like this could conceivably have happened. Dive professionals tend to be friendly , outgoing , physically and mentally in top top shape....so as far from the low life that you were so desperately unlucky to have encountered as you can imagine. Jobs are hard to.come by and any guide exhibiting strange behaviour would very quickly be shown the door in any of the whole we have been to.

As the others have said scuba diving is fantastic for our mental and physical health. I am now more physically active and more outgoing than I was 30 years ago and attribute much of this to diving. It has also got me through some extremely hard personal times and helped my husband support me.

There are many many female drive professionals and indeed many people specifically ask for a female guide and no questions are asked......divers are the paying customers and are at the top of the food chain.

Good luck with the rest of the course.

Thank you, your reply is the most encouraging I have read so far. I was afraid it would be rare to be able to find a female dive buddy. I honestly do feel like the chances of someone wishing another harm in so dangerous and unpredictable environment would be very unlikely or I would not have the nerve to even consider going for my OW cert soon. I truly hope it will be as relaxing and therapeutic as I hope and also am hoping the very act of diving and all the things I must pay attention to in order to be safe will also help stimulate my mind and cognitive abilities as well. I have a very patient instructor who is willing to take the time to teach me and has told me she will not certify anyone she would not feel safe enough to dive with her family members.

Well I started this thread quite awhile ago, sadly I am no closer to learning to Scuba Dive as my VA Doctor refuses to sign off on the waiver for "Liability" reasons saying it is just so if something goes wrong the Doctor can be blamed and not the School or student. So I either give up the dream or hope I find myself at a VA that deals with organizations like Diveheart and know how Scuba can help PTSD.

You are very brave to discuss your experience so openly. There are a lot of women divers out there who would welcome you myself included. I have never felt unsafe with others while diving. Part of this is because diving is so relaxing, part is because of how friendly most of the divers are and a part of this is that you can also go out with a group of people if you choose or just a single woman instructor/buddy.

I strongly urge you to call the Divers Alert Network (DAN) at 1-919-684-2948 Mon-Fri 8:30am to 5:00pm ET. They can help you find a referral even though you are not yet a diver.

Please don't give up on this. It is one of the great stress relievers in my life.

We are rooting for you!

Well I started this thread quite awhile ago, sadly I am no closer to learning to Scuba Dive as my VA Doctor refuses to sign off on the waiver for "Liability" reasons saying it is just so if something goes wrong the Doctor can be blamed and not the School or student. So I either give up the dream or hope I find myself at a VA that deals with organizations like Diveheart and know how Scuba can help PTSD.

Edward - while I don't agree with how the doctor views the form, there is no point in changing that persons mind. However, I am confident that if you're medically fit to dive, you can find a more knowledgeable doctor. A few suggestions ...

* check with Divers Alert Network (DAN) to find a knowledgeable physician in your area. Give them a call.
* check with your dive shop / instructor on the physicians the dive professionals use. You may have to pay for a physical with that physician but at least those physicians are known to not be scared of the medical release.
* check with Dive Pirates or Dive Heart on local physicians that they may have used. Even though Dive Pirates deals with folks with physical disabilities doesn't mean the information they have would not be useful to you. Again, their recipients have dealt with physicians that have signed the medical release.

One of these routes may provide a better chance of finding a physician who is knowledgeable about diving and the release form.

Didn't you have to fill out the medical history form for the Try Scuba? If so and you didn't need a medical statement from that then you should not need one for OW instruction. The forms are the same for Try Scuba and OW instruction. If the dive shop didn't ask for a medical history form for the Try Scuba then they took that risk. Just looking for potential solutions for you.

I agree with NYCNaiad! Don't give up on this!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom