Post your best diving tips!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet:
Are you talking about me?:D

Did you happen to click the JJ in my signature? If you _are_ JJ, then I'm talking about you ...

Otherwise, not so much :)

I dunno about everyone else but i have a terrble time with keeping my mask defogged so my wonderful boyfriend let me in on a little trick. To keep your mask defogged, put a couple of drops of defog in you mask, spread it around and just let it sit and then right before you are going to jump in, dunk your mask in a bucket and you should be good to go.

jeckyll:
Did you happen to click the JJ in my signature? If you _are_ JJ, then I'm talking about you ...

Otherwise, not so much :)
:rofl3: :rofl3: Definitely not.

costi:
I received this tip from another diver recently. I tried it three nights ago and it worked great for me.
Mix one part of cheap hair conditioner and two parts water in a spray bottle.
Spray your body parts with it prior to changing into your wetsuit and it may slip on a lot easier.
You won't have to explain why you are carrying panties, but your wife may question why you smell like hair conditioner! Bob

So far, she hasn't found my panties yet, either.

Oh, the secrets we keep...

TheRedHead:
Lynne, sometimes you have to take your fins off before you get back on the boat so you can't put your foot down. But I agree that pulling with your leg is a lot easier than pulling the strap with the hand. With Jetfins, my booties get drilled into the fin so I have to give it a good yank after I have removed the strap. Crossing leg in the front is easier for me on a tag line.
Technisub makes a wonderfull "quick release" on the back strap of the fins. You can actualy stand upright and click the strap loose with the other foot's heal and do the same with the remaining one. It is also brilliant for putting your fins on in the water as you just lie on your back and clip the trap closed.

What a wonderfull invention!!!!

Great thread! Thanks for all the great tips everybody.
Let's see. A few things to add.

1. Before diving, put long fine, tangle-prone hair in braids or pony tails. Then, goo it all up with a big gob of conditioner (like heaping handful or 2). Then put on a lycra swim cap. THEN put on hood. Keeps the little hairs from getting dislodged from my "do" when wiggling into the hood, and keeps hair from being so tangle prone at the end of the day. Reapply conditioner before each dive.

2. If you have a Staples store in your area: They make a little square plastic folding cart about 1 foot on a side and sell it for $20. Has a telescoping handle, folds up very compact. Works great for rolling tank and weights from the car to the dive boat. I've rolled up to 75# in it, even though it's only rated for like 20#. Improved the quality of my life tremendously!

3. If you dive with a big camera like a video or dslr: Put it together the night before and transport onto the boat in a standard playmate cooler lined with towels. If necessary that can be your own private rinse tank, but protects your camera very well during the day also. No more worrying that somebody will accidently knock it off the table or a pitching boat will roll it off.

4. Somebody on here made this suggestion: Make a big list (with check boxes) of ALL of your scuba stuff. While packing, just go down the list and tick off what you will need.

5. For boat dives: Get a mesh bag. Between dives, put your mask, gloves, miscellaneous doo dads in the mesh bag and hang it from your tank valve. Keeps things tidy and easy to find.

6. If you use a weight integrated BC, definitely invest in a spare weight pocket!

7. I strongly second the "Get Spring Straps" comment. EZ Spring Straps. They have a loop for your thumb.

8. Get a few beanies to warm up the noggin between dives.

9. Zip ties are your friend. Carry lots.

10. Get your tank strap wet before putting your BC on your tank each day. Fixed my slippage problem.

11. Boat coat. Totally key.

12. If the patch isn't strong enough for you, try Scopalomine pills.

And the best of all, if something is irritating you about your gear set up or is just a hassle, post on here and you'll get lots of cool tips in answer!

I.e., Could somebody please post a "tip" on how to tame a BC pocket that refuses to stay zipped up? :)

Taxgeek:
Could somebody please post a "tip" on how to tame a BC pocket that refuses to stay zipped up? :)
Sell the BC, buy a bp/w? :D

Taxgeek:
Great thread! Thanks for all the great tips everybody.
Let's see. A few things to add.
5. For boat dives: Get a mesh bag. Between dives, put your mask, gloves, miscellaneous doo dads in the mesh bag and hang it from your tank valve. Keeps things tidy and easy to find.
... or when you get out of the water put your two fins together and pull your mask strap over them to make three items strewn about the boat into just one. Ten divers on a boat or shore can thus reduce complete chaos to just moderate anarchy.

SparticleBrane:
Sell the BC, buy a bp/w? :D

Ayyup, that's the next item on my shopping list. Durn mortgage is slowing down the aquisition of new stuff, however!

Back
Top Bottom