Postcard from Bunaken/ Lembeh/ Bangka

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gee13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently made a trek out to North Sulawesi, to visit the islands of Bunaken, Bangka and Lembeh and discover what they had to offer. Most of my recent trips have been done using mostly wide angle. Any macro photos were predominantly close focus with wide angle lenses. This time I had decided to do something different and focus in purely on macro photography setup. I was tempted to take out the wide angle on only a couple of dives.

So the diving in Bunaken involved a lot of big walls, great visibility and very healthy corals. There wasn’t a lot of current about overall on the sites visited, though we did a high voltage dive on Sachiko’s one early morning. This time there were plenty of Black Tip Reef Sharks and Barracuda at that site including a host of other pelagics. Generally there were not many bigger fish out around Bunaken but there were plenty of smaller tropical species abound surrounding the healthy corals. I was surprised to find quite a number of interesting critters in the crevices. Its also a short ride to Manado coast where some good muck diving was to be found. We saw painted frogfish, yellow boxfish, ghost pipefish, flying gunards.. Waters around here were generally averaged at 29C, around the beach in shallows it was around 32C.

We also did a day trip out to Bangka Island for 3 dives around the area. Quite amazing dive sites with stronger currents, endless visibility and many colourful soft corals. There were schools of Blue Banded Snapper and many Oriental Sweetlips. The highlight was Sahaung with massive table top corals, pinnacles and a strange looking layered volcanic plateaux. We also managed to see a rare Hippocampus Pontohi Seahorse unique to the area.

Then it was on to Lembeh Strait for some serious treasure hunting. Lembeh is for the most part not the prettiest of diving topographies mostly in black volcanic sand. (Though there are some nice coral dive sites toward the north) However the type of critters found are out of this world. Fortunately we managed to get to see most of the prime list of critters that make Lembeh famous - Mimic Octopus, Wonderpuss, Flamboyant Cuttlefish, Ornate Ghost Pipefish, Banggai Cardinalfish, Hairy Frogfish, Stargazer, Orangutang Crab, Ambon Scorpionfish Pygmy Seahorses, Harlequin Shrimp… There were also many healthy species of nudiranchs, especially at Nudi Retreat and Nudi falls, kind of a heaven for Nu-dists. Slightly cooler in this region with bottom temperatures around 27C but still very nice. Here are some of the photos from the trip.

Thanks to Seabreeze and NAD for looking after us.

IMG_31281-C1.jpg

IMG_34651-C1.jpg

IMG_29121-C1.jpg

IMG_31791-C1.jpg

IMG_33571-C1.jpg

IMG_36821-C1.jpg

IMG_39581-C1.jpg

IMG_38311-C1.jpg

IMG_40931-C1.jpg

Thanks for the pic's & reminding me of great memories

! I absolutely love the red tooth trigger fish and sharks at Sachiko’s ;-)!

Great photos Gee! Making me very jealous.... Oh hang on i was there too! Well lembeh anyway. Cant wait to head back.

Hey MA yes was fun hangin out and having yarns. Dont think Ive seen so many divers from Oz in one place in a while! We had some minor casualties but hopefully made it home in one piece?

Yes, tbat was the First time ive had such a large aussie contingent! Australian diving included. But you guys re ll still a 4 hr flight away! I am just recovering now, i can see the light! It was worth it. Did you work out your mystery illness? I will pm you.

Gee, man...the 4th portrait close up image of the second batch is a potential contest winner!!!
There are lots of great photos in your recent North Sulawesi crop. See how macro can be great fun.

I am a big fan of Bangka, espacially Sahaung which is on my top 3 divesites all over the world, can't wait going back to Murex Bangka in august.... just bought a Subsee 2*lifesize lens for those little buggers. Wish I'll spot a pontohi too...

Thanks so much for the pics! Now our excitement level is at a fever pitch :D We have been planning a trip to Indonesia (from South Louisiana) for the past few months and finally decided we would dive Bunaken, Lembeh AND Bangka. It's so great to hear that apparently we made a very good decision :wink:

We'll be there in October...will be diving 5 days Bunaken, 6 days Lembeh and 3 days Bangka with Two Fish Divers. My photography skills are far from that of Gee, but what I lack in quality, I make up for in quantity! We'll be sure and post a trip report with plenty of pictures when we return.

Thanks Gee for the great information...especially the water temps. I was worried about getting a little chilled, but if the coldest you experienced was 27 we'll have no worries. Quick question if you don't mind: Is it worth paying to do 3 day trips to Bangka to experience the nice seascapes there, or is Bunaken just as nice?

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom