Postcard from Bunaken/ Lembeh/ Bangka

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for kind words Luko, really appreciate it from another fellow lens enthusiast! @ CajunDiva the topography of Bunaken divesites and Bangka are quite different. But then again there is a lot of variety of diving around Bunaken in itself. Yes as Luko said Sahaung is up there, with amazing visibility and I would have been glad to do it twice for sheer beauty of the seascape. If you have a look at the second photo that is a shot of one of Sahaung's many colourful corals. Its more pinnacles around there. Very nice. We also did a site called Batu Mandi across the the island, which had lots of beautiful seafans, featherstars and the ugliest giant stonefish you'd ever come across!

Here's a difficult shot of the Hippocampus Pontohi that was half decent, one of the most difficult subjects I encountered, only a few mm in length and not very photogenic. Please excuse the quality of the pic as there was also a slight thermocline that made it hard to focus.

IMG_35491-C1.jpg

Thanks for the report Gee. I agree with Luko, the Fang Blenny (?) portait is superb! Of course it has the classic black background which make the colors pop and a great composition filling the frame, but I think the slightly downward angle (or is it the fish markings?) gives some attitude and makes for a unique image. It would go far in a contest.

I will be in Lembeh in 2 weeks and this report is getting me all giddy :) This is my first trip to N. Suluwesi as well and originally I planned to do 2 full weeks at Lembeh to focus on macro photos, but I may have to check out Bangka as well. How are the shooting conditions at Bangka? I here there can be a lot of current.

Thanks Magrone I might just see if I can enter a contest with it :) With regards to your question about Bangka we didnt have much current at Sahaung on the first dive but it picked up by the 2nd dive quite a bit. I think Luko can comment more as he has actually stayed and dived more in the area? I wouldnt miss it though.

Wow great pics.

I'm actually just trying to arrange a last minute trip to Lembeh staying at Kungkungan resort - hopefully 15th to the 23rd June.

Hopefully will hear tomorrow if its all confirmed. Can't wait to see all those critters and am planning on doing a few 5pm Mandarin dives as well.

Out of interest how is Garuda air with dive kit with regards to baggage allowances?

Great photos! I agree, there are some contest winners in the bunch! As to Benzonar's question about Garuda.. they are the only domestic Indonesian carrier that did not charge us anything for overweight fees??? We flew Garuda out of Bali and they just checked it all in with no questions asked????

Garuda was actually better than Lion Air. In fact I was overweight, the lady at checkin asked if I was a diver and advised me I had a 15kg dive allowance included in my fare. Garuda also ran on time and had better seats with food / drinks included. More expensive but worth it. Enjoy the diving Benzoar :)

I think Luko can comment more as he has actually stayed and dived more in the area? I wouldnt miss it though.
I dived Bangka including the Pulisan area off the mainland, on probably 15-20 dives or so (and going back in august), hence I think I can quite fairly assess the types of diving you should expect.
Currents can be fierce on Sahaung sometimes making it undiveable, Batu Mandi is just in front on the mainland, currents are not so fast but they are a bother since they push you toward the wall which is covered with very delicate corals or gorgonians, hence you may feel like an elephant moving into a china plate store. :shocked2:

Otherwise these two spots are not characteristic of Bangka diving which is usually less abundant in coral reefs but shows a good combination of Lembeh critters and the best of Bunaken, without the walls.
There is another fantastic dive site called Paradise Jetty where you can dive 3/4 different environment within one dive : algae muck, coral reef, artificial pier and volcanic hotsprings. :)
I was also amazed with the site called HBO which is dived into a very sheltered mangrove bay. It's teeming with juvenile fish and all sorts of muck critters.

btw, RIP my EOS5D, I just drowned it two days ago while diving in Reunion island :depressed:... of course, during the dive I spotted for the first time in Réunion a quite rare type of rough ghost pipefish (slightly different from the usual arlequin ghostpipefish that photographers enjoy so much).

We also did a dive on Paradise Jetty which was one of the highlights of our LOB trip from Lembeh to the Sangihe Islands. It was the first time I saw a bob tail squid.. etc. There was a star gazer right under the jetty along with many other cool critters ! Great dive! We did it at night. The rest of the trip further up North was one current dive after another if I remember correctly. We only missed one dive on that trip because it conflicted with a trip to see the Tarsier monkeys and they happened to see a blue ring octopus while we were gone! Sigh!

[/QUOTE]btw, RIP my EOS5D, I just drowned it two days ago while diving in Reunion island :depressed:... of course, during the dive I spotted for the first time in Réunion a quite rare type of rough ghost pipefish (slightly different from the usual arlequin ghostpipefish that photographers enjoy so much).[/QUOTE]

:shocked2: Holy crap! I'm sorry Luko. Did the lens survive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom