Practice using a pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mi000ke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just acquired a pony bottle and have been diving with it for the first time (have done 4 dives with it now). Many of the pony bottle discussions on SB advise frequent practice using the pony. As recommended by several SB posters, I have used it on my safety stop each dive as my "practice."

I sling the bottle on my left side, leave the tank on, and have the 2nd stage hooked via bungee to a D ring nestled just inside my left shoulder where it is very easy to reach. Using it has been pretty uneventful and straightforward - either pull on the reg to free it from the bungee or just unhook the clip from the D ring, put it my mouth, purge and breath - no big deal (of course this is low stress and planned). It was so straightforward - no more difficult than switching to an octo - that I guess I don't see the need to keep practicing using it. At least I won't have to get it refilled every time I want to dive.

Is there something I'm missing about what is meant by "practice using it", as I want to make sure I'll be OK using it if needed. For example, should I be practicing at depth instead, simulating an OOA situation? Practicing my full ascent using it? How much do you all practice using your pony bottles?

Thanks...

I don't know. Your post makes sense. Mine is attached to the tank with valve open (another thread) with second stage around my neck on a looped rope. Practising using it may keep the reg from developing problems (which happened with mine once -- after non use for a long time). Recently on my very shallow dives I've used the pony reg while my regular one was in the shop for repair. This may be another way to make sure it works. I intend to take the pony reg with me now when travelling (not plane), in case my reg needs repair. I won't miss a dive day. Of course I almost always dive shallow (30' or less), so I don't need my console for depth or anything other than remaining gas.

I would say that 'Practice using it' is exactly what you are doing.
Get comfortable and proficient at switching supplies.

What captain swoop said. Practice using it is practice using it. Get comfortable deploying it and stowing it in many different scenarios as you've described. Safety stop, ascent, on the bottom to sim OOA, etc. Practice taking the tank off and giving it to someone else, and getting it back. Once you've got enough practice with it and are completely comfortable with it, you can just practice every so often to make sure things are still fresh.

The biggest part of practicing with it is taking it on dives and keeping skills fresh if they start to wane. Don't get comfortable with it, stop taking it, and then one time 20 dives from now take it and actually need it and find out you're not as quick to deploy or donate as you once were.

I got mine over the winter. I dove with in the pool a couple of times to get comfortable and used to it. Actually deployed it a couple of times in my last pool session.

How do you have a bungee holding the reg? That's the last bit I've not yet done.

Be sure to have a pressure gauge on the pony. Test the pony before each dive by breathing from the reg. I fill (actually just "top off") my pony every four or five dives from a full main tank using a special hose. It only takes seconds, keeps the pony near full, and doesn't use much air from the main.

I generally dive with my pony valve closed. But with the reg pressurized. The practice comes with opening the valve. Its the same as stage bottles. and prevents free flows, while the pressure in the reg keeps water out. And yes use it at depth and on the ascents. You will gain more useful experience than just shallow water and simulation. practice with it where you plan to dive with it. Better to learn something doesn't work while you are not depending on it to save your life. Depending on bottle size and depth as well as the enviroment you may discover that it isn't as useful as you may think.

How do you have a bungee holding the reg? That's the last bit I've not yet done.

Make it long enough so you have room to pull it up and in your mouth - too short and it hurts because you are stretching it to your mouth and then there is pressure from the bungee pulling the reg into your mouth...

An instructor during one of the courses I took in FL gave me a rope that stretches a little (wouldn't exactly call it a bungee). A small loop is around the 2nd stage hose right at the mouthpiece, with a larger loop to go around my neck. I guess it would be hard to make the small loop with a bungee, but am sure it could be done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom