Pre-Dive Safety checks

Pre-Dive buddy/safety Checks?

• Hell yes!

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • Sometimes, if its an unfamilar buddy...

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • Check? Ha! Just lemme in the water!

Votes: 4 6.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends who im diving with. Always some sort of check but if its a buddy i dive with several times a week we tend to abbreviate such as "same kit as usual?" then the usual clips/hoses/air check and in.

If its a less familiar buddy its the full force as to weight belts, releases, location of octopus, procedures etc.

Type of dive also has an effect. If its a deep dive, deco dive or some other circumstances then even a very familiar buddy gets the full treatment.

Absolutely. A few weeks ago when I was trying out a BP/W my weightbelt got stuck on the lower bolt on the BP. My buddy noticed it during the weight check and fixed it with fair bit of effort. If she hadn't noticed that I would not have been able to remove my weight belt in an emergency. Just goes to show that even little things, such as strap position, can mess up your day.

Well we do a slightly modified version of BWRAF:

B - BCD and Drysuit: air in/out, dump valves, inflator hoses connected, seals ok, zip closed.
W - Weights: normally you tell your buddy where and how much and they check they are all secure but can be released.
R - Releases (always remember to include drysuit inflator hose!), tug each one as you go so you know that they are secure (after I once back rolled into the water and half my BC fell off!)
A - Air: How much, tastes fine, no needle movement, where your spare is.
F - Final okay: includes all of the above and tank.

It sounds a lot but with my regular buddies we can do this in under 5 mins. I know a lot of you might think it is a lot to do, but its what we do!

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

I will do a buddy check every time. I have seen a few close calls with other divers. If they would of done a thorough check they would not of had these situations underwater. And it only takes a minute or so.

Even though I'm an instructor and the people I dive with recreationally are typically OW, I make them check my gear. Good habits start young

I allways check my buddy!!!!! except maybe the time OE2X dove with out his weight belt. That would be my fault as I did not see that. He may have forgot but I was the one looking at him. You know your diving with a really good diver when he is in a dry suit and can still fall to the bottom even with his weights firmly waiting for him at his car.

We are doing it on every dive, since the dive where my husband came into water with his drysuit wide open...
Thank you. This just started my day off nicely with a big smile. :lol3:

Good bunch of responses.
Its a pity that those who selected the poll vote not to do the check haven't shared stories with us and why they choose not to to the check.

SF

Back
Top Bottom