Prejudice against solo divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

he ha. "team think". I may steal that. Let me guess, Nemrod. We are having a little fun in another thread, and I am going to guess you would rather not have to reveal your personal medical information to a dive operator, once your doc has cleared you,...hmmmm?...just a wild guess.

Catherine of Angelfishes, you would be correct, it is not their buisness. The legal profession is destroying our country and this is all about lieyers and liesuits--all of it.

You have a choice--just say NO. I am getting real good at it these days. N

Nemrod:
I think your right in that solo has become more of an issue in recent history due to the takeover of the diving world by the evil PadI and all of this "team think". N

Hell yeah! Team think...hey, I don't even know that my solo inclinations even allow me to post on this group board. Back to the shadows, or to consult with my attorney to see if this post has exposed me to legal liability.

Covertly yours,

Packhorse:
No one has ever commented on my solo diving. Probably because I was the only one there at the time.

Being the only one there when you go in, doesn't guarantee being the only one there when you get out :)
"Hey, were you diving? Shouldn't you have a buddy?"

DeepBound:
Being the only one there when you go in, doesn't guarantee being the only one there when you get out :)
"Hey, were you diving? Shouldn't you have a buddy?"

That would just be a real bad idea. I'm really striving to be a kinder, gentler person, but that would throw me into a frenzy.

Vortex Spring, FL, where I've done quite a few solo dives, doesn't have any issues with solo divers. It *does* seem somewhat strange, however, when you're on your surface interval sitting near an OW class as they're lectured with the "always dive with a buddy or the Great Destroyer will track you down and digest your entrails" speech.

Regardless of the speeches (during which I try not to make eye contact with the students, out of deference to their instructor), I've never had anyone, student or instructor alike, say anything to me about my solo diving. Quite often, I've been asked about my slung pony, and I've had conversations about many a topic, but solo diving itself seems almost to be a taboo topic.

A few other places (springs, jetties) around the area, I've been more or less completely ignored (other than a mom telling her cute little toddler, "See, that's what mommy does when she goes scuba diving"). Frankly, being ignored is fine by me, as it's almost as peaceful as some nice, unperturbed bottom time. :D

I've never been taken to task by anybody about doing solo dives. When I get home my wife says, "You didn't did anything stupid did you ??" and that is the extent of it. She never Nags me about it. She is a diver too. We've gotten seperated for long periods more then a few times while diving in low vis. situations and so weather she knows it or not I guess that sort of makes her a Solo Diver too :D

Just wanted to say that I really like this forum. It's comforting to know we divers have some place to air our views. To that end I should like to say that: Personally, it REALLY p****s me off (speaking as an autonomous human being who has somehow ( miraculously !?! ) managed to MUDDLE my way through life for the past 40 something years doing solo activities such as rock and mountain climbing; skydiving; automobile and motorcycle racing; shotokan karate; hitchhiking; wilderness hiking(Yukon); camping; surfing; canoeing; offshore cruising; as well as swimming, etc.) when someone tries to admonish or otherwise negatively comment on the fact that I am engaging in the activity of solo scubadiving. To begin with, we scubadivers are a loose association of SELF-GOVERNING individuals who have demonstrated certain competencies and are LEGALLY entitled to engage in our sport, providing we do not infringe upon the rights of others. Further, the RULES certain persons believe we MUST follow (ie: buddy diving ) are simply RECOMMENDATIONS (which by definition means the SUGGESTION or endorsement of something as the most worthy). Should I, or other divers, CHOOSE to not follow a particular recommendation - then so be it- I have the RIGHT to decide how I will conduct my diving activities. I absolutely and completely resent the interference of narrow-minded, egotistical meddling individuals who may or may not be acting in an altruistic manner. Therefore, I obviously wish these and other people would JUST MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS !

Just my 2 cents worth…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom