Prepaid cell phones?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there someplace in Cozumel where I can buy a pre-paid cell phone? And if you have a Cozumel cell number, is the Cancun to Tulum area considered a local call?

Is there someplace in Cozumel where I can buy a pre-paid cell phone? And if you have a Cozumel cell number, is the Cancun to Tulum area considered a local call?

You can ick one up at any Telcel office for abuot $40 to $50 WITH anywhere from $100 pesos to $300 pesos worth of credit on them...making the phone even cheaper :) Then, when you run out of calling credits, you just pick up another card :)

I recommend the Telcel store on Calle 2 across from the Taxi site. They are the main office and have the largest selection.

As far as calls to/from the mainland and Cozumel....they aren't local calls, but you can dial them and the extra cost is negligible.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Christi! That's exactly what I need. So for $50 (or about that) the phone AND $100-300 of credit already loaded? I'm sure they'll have something that explains the calling rates when I get the phone.

I'm sure they'll have something that explains the calling rates when I get the phone.

Ummmm....don't count on it...haha!

You can call and check your available credit at any time by dialing *333, then option 1 - that will give you your remaining credit in Spanish of course and to add time, you dial *333 and select option 2

I used to be able to explain it to a T...but I have a calling plan now so don't remember every step now without listening to the prompts....but your boat captain and or DM or hotel receptionist will definitely be able to help you with this :)

You can also have the phone programmed in English to hear your remaining minutes, etc........the guy at Telcel did it for me so can't say how that happens, but I swear it's Salma Hayek who delivers the message!!...........hahhaha...........and one more thing, you get bonus time the higher card you go..........in other words, three cards of 100 pesos don't equal one card of 300 pesos. (I wish someone had told ME that earlier!!)............the 300 peso card gives you 450 "units" so it's a better deal. Betsy

Betsy and Christi, great info! Thank you. My Spanish is improving, but those phone prompts are still a bit ahead of my ability. I'll make sure to ask if they can program it in English. Good to know that it's possible.

I changed my Alltel phone to the North America plane last time. Didn't think I'd use it much, but it was invaluable with H.Dean approaching. When I couldn't get thru to the local or Mexico city reservations, I just called Houston.

I changed my Alltel phone to the North America plane last time. Didn't think I'd use it much, but it was invaluable with H.Dean approaching. When I couldn't get thru to the local or Mexico city reservations, I just called Houston.

I don't intend to use it for US calls. That's what I have my SKYPE numbers and US cell phone for. :wink: But it's $$ for someone with a Mexican cell to call a US cell, even if you're physically in the same town or area.

Back
Top Bottom