Prescription Lens Mask - suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phantom Joe

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion about what mask to purchase for a prescription lens? My wife would sure like to have one and not run the risk of losing her contact lenses.

Thanks,

Joe

With masks you can do one of 2 things and it usually depends what your LDS offers. 1. You can buy a mask for which your LDS may have pop in lens available in your prescription. In that case they just pop out the existing glass and pop in the new lenses. OR 2. You can choose pretty much ANY mask and send it away to a company like the one named above who will bond your prescription ONTO the existing lens (it will cost more but many people prefer the results). Another such company is DiveSight. For a little extra they guarantee 5 day service. Its really a matter of choosing the mask that fits the BEST and seeing what company your LDS uses for the servicing.

Looks like maybe you hit the (New Thread) button right above the (Post Reply) button...? :huh:

don

if you bond a rx to the glass in your mask it is permanent. If your rx changes, if you get lasik, if your mask develops a leak you basiclly have to throw away the mask. Lds lenses are usually good enough for most ppl,they handle the magnification only (not astigmitisim) if you need a specific rx seavision will custom grind your rx and install lenses if the lens comes out of the mask.

...they had about three that were set up for perscripton lenses. We took some time and made sure that the mask fit, gave them a copy of my prescription and then sent away to have the lenses made. It took a couple of weeks and the mask and lenses came it about $125.00, I think. Good thing is, I have the original lenses for the mask, so after I get my Lasik Surgery in January, I can change the lenses and still use the mask....

Hope this is some help...

Here are some more sources...

http://www.proteye.nl/

http://rxdivemask.com

www.seavisionusa.com

I didn't start Scuba until I was 53 :eek:ldguy: so I wanted bifocal lenses - so I could see the sights clearly with distance vision, and see my gauges clearly with closeup. You don't give you age on you profile, so I have no idea how old your wife may be?

good luck, don

I've had a couple of Seavision masks: the first one was bifocal but with the rose coloured lenses. The 2nd one (which I still have) is also bifocal, but with clear lenses.

Pearce bought a bifocal one about 2 years ago and now wonders why he waited so long. :wink:

In the end, make sure you get someone who understands underwater optics to do your mask: your prescription UNDER water is NOT the same as it is ABOVE WATER.

Bonne chance,

divinglife once bubbled...
1. You can buy a mask for which your LDS may have pop in lens available in your prescription. In that case they just pop out the existing glass and pop in the new lenses.

This is a popular option. You just need to be sure to get a mask with two lenses rather than one solid lens. Also be sure that there are lenses available for whatever mask you chose. There are only a few masks that cannot be adapted. Your LDC can help.

I wear bifocals (Gawd, isn't gettin older great), and use the stick-on lenses. I can read my gagues, no problem, and if the mask goes belly-up, the lenses can be removed and placed in another.:eek:ldguy:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom