Prescription masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have custom ground lenses including astigmatic/cylinder correction - I have the exact same lenses prescriptions that are in my glasses inside my mask. The important thing is you NEED a mask that fits correctly - because you might to be spending a disgusting amount of money on it (depending on your prescription requirements)

I have a $10 mask with $300+ worth of lenses in it. But the mask fits perfectly and I've had it for 9 years. I don't remember who made the lenses though.

I have custom ground lenses including astigmatic/cylinder correction - I have the exact same lenses prescriptions that are in my glasses inside my mask. The important thing is you NEED a mask that fits correctly - because you might to be spending a disgusting amount of money on it (depending on your prescription requirements)

I have a $10 mask with $300+ worth of lenses in it. But the mask fits perfectly and I've had it for 9 years. I don't remember who made the lenses though.

Yes to this. A few years ago I ordered a mask withe Rx lenses. It leaked like a seive. For my face, mask comes first, with lenses put in my mask.

I used SeaVision and have been happy with the results. Bifocals with a tad of astigmatism. Used my mask and their mask. Like their mask more. My local optometrist said he could make lenses to fit anything, including scuba mask. At that point, I had two functional masks. He's an independent, not a chain. A chain around here said they could not put lenses in masks.

I used SeaVision and have been happy with the results. Bifocals with a tad of astigmatism. Used my mask and their mask. Like their mask more. My local optometrist said he could make lenses to fit anything, including scuba mask. At that point, I had two functional masks. He's an independent, not a chain. A chain around here said they could not put lenses in masks.

Which SeaVision mask model did you buy? Now that they replied, I still have to decide between their mask models.
I will give Seavision a try, because they seem to be the only one in business who makes directly ground prescription mask glasses.

Independent optometrists who are interested in their craft usually can make prescription masks with glue on lenses. At least Zeiss and maybe others globally supply a full range of prescription glass lenses with flat front surface. An independent optometry shop that has their own lens cutting lab can cut and glue these to any mask. Optically this works fine, but I already had problems with glue releasing in my mask.

Prescription Dive Masks and the above mentioned Pingel optik in Germany use this glue on method. Probably someone who does this for living like the PDM has nailed the glue method they use. At least no one has complained about their lenses releasing from the mask window.

Which SeaVision mask model did you buy? Now that they replied, I still have to decide between their mask models.
I will give Seavision a try, because they seem to be the only one in business who makes directly ground prescription mask glasses.
It's been a while, and I'm no longer sure.

I used SeaVision and bought their Classic (2000) clear mask which is a low volume mask and after about 36 dives with it I love it. I had bi-focals put into the lens--not glue on--ground into the lens-and they are perfect for me. After checking out other websites and seeing their prices I went with SeaVision--I paid about $182 for the mask with the prescription lens. I received a text from UPS saying my mask had been delivered--except I hadn't received the mask. Called SeaVision and they put a tracer on the shipment. I told SeaVision I needed the mask soon for a upcoming dive trip and I was told if they didn't find my mask in a few days they'd just send me another mask---which they did for no additional charge. UPS eventually found the mask and I had them return it to SeaVision--excellent customer service!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom