President Trump Pulls U.S. Out of the Paris Climate Accord

Do you think President Trump made the right choice?

• Yes

Votes: 49 51.6%
  • No

Votes: 46 48.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem with this decision is that it was made by a man whose depth of ignorance, lack of knowledge and understanding is truly jaw dropping and world class. It was purely a play to his base, a large percentage of which think global warming is a hoax, and it had nothing to do with what is best for the U.S. or our environment.

I find it tiresome, when people are not able to make a persuasive argument and just reduce to name calling and citing "ignorance, and lack of knowledge".

For somebody with such a superior level of knowledge and understanding.. Maybe they should get with the program and at least use the correct and current terminology.

>Global Cooling was in the 70s and 80s...
>Global Warming fell out of fashion several years ago..
>Climate Change is much more current to todays discussion
*And for extra credit...
>>Anthropological Climate Change is much more specific in that it we are clearly blaming mankind for any environmental changes both real and imagined

Don't know the answer. I have some understanding of how your political system works and what is in your constitution, but am not clear on what can be decided by POTUS and what requires congressional approval.
Often we aren't clear on it either. The way it's supposed to work is that the legislative branch (congress) makes the rules. The executive branch (prsident) executes the rules that the legislative branch made. The judicial branch decides what to do when the rules are broken.

Then this concept of "executive order" comes into play which gives the executive branch the ability to make their own rules. It's been the source of problems in US government as long as I've been paying attention. I'm sure much longer than that.

Adurso, I think you meant you wanted people to defend the Paris Accord, right? .. 'Climate Change' is a political football that's going to get about 1/3rd of people all in support of.. about 1/3rd of people all upset and resistant.. and roughly 1/3rd who really have no educated opinion and will just fall inline with their emotions.

Sensible actions to support and encourage environmental conservation and restoration should be possible! ..And should gain support that would transcend political division. Summary reviews of the Paris Accord do not seem to fit in with the best interest of the American taxpayers.

Correct; I want to hear the defense of the Accords

Anthropological Climate Change
FIY: it's anthropogenic climate change. It has nothing to do with anthropology.

is much more specific in that it we are clearly blaming mankind for any environmental changes both real and imagined
Wrong again. Anthropogenic climate change means "climate change caused by humans", not "any environmental change can be blamed on mankind".

The problem with this decision is that it was made by a man whose depth of ignorance, lack of knowledge and understanding is truly jaw dropping and world class. It was purely a play to his base, a large percentage of which think global warming is a hoax, and it had nothing to do with what is best for the U.S. or our environment.

The President probably is a horse's ass.

With that out of the way, what cogent defense of America's participation can you offer?

It was not name calling, just an observation formed by watching the man for the past 25+ years. Also, I was not making an argument for climate change/global warming, as there are so many others (approximately 95% of the world's scientists) that are far more scientifically knowledgable that have made the case for the presence of climate change caused in great part by man. I was commenting on the rationality, or lack thereof, for the decision to exit the accord. Let me put it in simple terms:
U.S. (Trump), Nicaragua, and Syria vs rest of the world. Even the majority of U.S. voters did not want us to exit the accord. For me, the decision as to which side is correct was very easy.
This was purely a bone that Trump threw to the slim majority of his core base that ignores, or choses to disbelieve, the presence of climate change, or think their coal mining and manufacturing jobs are coming back. In addition, his decision is not going to be helpful to the economy of the U.S., and that is not my just my opinion but the opinion of a large number of our top CEOs.

FIY: it's anthropogenic climate change. It has nothing to do with anthropology.

OK.. 'Anthropogenic' is surely a better, more accurate term.

In my defense.. I had recently read an article titled.. "Anthropological perspectives and policy implications of climate change research"

Anthropological perspectives and policy implications of climate change research

Wrong again. Anthropogenic climate change means "climate change caused by humans", not "any environmental change can be blamed on mankind".

OK.. I would not dispute either. Whether it is caused exclusively by humans, or just blamed on humans.. I am not sure how that changes my point.

I am actually in the middle on this topic. I think there are credible arguments to me made on both sides. If you take a few minutes, you can easily find expert climatologists who don't believe "climate change" is caused my human caused Co2 emissions.

My point is that I am sick of the politics on this. lets create cars that are more fuel efficient! Lets take advantage of wind and solar energy! ..All great stuff! But doing things that Kill American jobs and the economy, and I am going to really challenge you on the total credibility of your plan. And it darn well better be a good plan that does not screw over our country and let China do what every the heck they want!

I'm glad we are leading the fight for climate change. Personally I find colorful reefs to be rather garish, and all that encrusting growth destroys the clean lines penned by naval architects.

OK.. 'Anthropogenic' is surely a better, more accurate term.

In my defense.. I had recently read an article titled.. "Anthropological perspectives and policy implications of climate change research"

Anthropological perspectives and policy implications of climate change research

OK.. I would not dispute either. Whether it is caused exclusively by humans, or just blamed on humans.. I am not sure how that changes my point.

I am actually in the middle on this topic. I think there are credible arguments to me made on both sides. If you take a few minutes, you can easily find expert climatologists who don't believe "climate change" is caused my human caused Co2 emissions.

My point is that I am sick of the politics on this. lets create cars that are more fuel efficient! Lets take advantage of wind and solar energy! ..All great stuff! But doing things that Kill American jobs and the economy, and I am going to really challenge you on the total credibility of your plan. And it darn well better be a good plan that does not screw over our country and let China do what every the heck they want!

Which US jobs are being killed by staying in the Paris Accord?

Back
Top Bottom