Price for O2 clean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't take credit for that. I am but a lowly DiveCon candidate for the store that actually has a real job elsewhere, LOL. The owner of the store knows he has a nice set-up for his customers and we DO smile. Now, some of the other posters are seeing why I am not one of the LDS bashers.:)

scubasean once bubbled...
I can only tell you what my LDS charges....I suspect it varies by location, competition, etc.

My LDS charges $50 if the tank is new, and $75 if the tank is used. The explanation for the difference in price is that they have to do a more extensive cleaning/inspection if the tank has been filled by an unknown source.

--Sean

What

I'm a DSAT Gas Blender and clean & inspect Nitrox tanks. The process to clean & inspect tanks is the same for new or old tanks, there is no "more extensive cleaning/inspection if the tank has been filled by an unknown source".

A blender may request that a tank is cleaned and re-inspected if they suspect that the tank has had a "bad fill".

dolphinJS once bubbled...

What

I'm a DSAT Gas Blender and clean & inspect Nitrox tanks. The process to clean & inspect tanks is the same for new or old tanks, there is no "more extensive cleaning/inspection if the tank has been filled by an unknown source".

A blender may request that a tank is cleaned and re-inspected if they suspect that the tank has had a "bad fill".

What about tumbling to remove rust and stuff on a poorly maintained, used steel tank before the actual cleaning stages get started?

I'm not sure what extra steps one might invent for a used AL tank though... :wink:

diverbrian once bubbled...
[BI have seen the trouble that the guy goes to at the one place that I have been to where he partial pressures. It is a pain ...<snip>... to do a hand calculation of each individual tank every time he is asked for a nitrox fill. He has since gone to have EAN40 preblended that he will cut with air to give the desired mix. [/B]

My LDS banks O2 compatable air, 40% (they have a DNAX compressor) and several O2 bottles for blending mixes over 40%

I, another DM and an instructor sat down one weekend and banged out a simple spreadsheet for calculating nitrox gass mixes.

We even donated to the shop an old 486 PC running win95 to run the spredsheet on.

Gas blending calcs only take a few seconds this way.

Just enter the tanks working pressure, current pressure, current O2%, fill gas O2% and topoff gas O2%. Normaly the fill and top-off mixes don't change unless we're doing fills over 40%.

The spreadsheet then fills in a chart from 21%-100% O2. for each nitrox mix it lists the PSIs needed from the fill gas and the PSIs needed from the top-off gas to acheve that mix or just shows "not possible" instead of numbers if the mix can't be achieved given the available gasses.

EG: if you are filling an empty tank using 100% O2 as a fill gas and 40% nitrox as a top-off gas, anything from 39% and lower will show "not possible".

It saves lots of gas because we don't dump the tanks to empty before filling them anymore unless it's a 40%+ mix and the O2 cascade is getting low.

Our own LDS uses Voyager software for that purpose. I own a copy of it as well. It will tell you exactly what to add and it what order.

The other operator that I was referring to doesn't have a computer in the office anywhere that I could see. But, when he does his PP, he seems to hit right on the nose. So, the old fashioned methods aren't all bad, are they?

I love your system too. It sounds great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom