Prices in Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taliesin58

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sorry to bother everyone again, but I just want to know a little about prices here.
I am new to diving in Japan, so I want to know if I am being taken for a ride.
My LDS charges 2000 yen for 1 12L tank, and when I asked how much for a fill on my own tank, the owner said "We don't do that in Japan". Now, this seems a bit suspicious since tanks only cost a quarter of that everywhere I have been before, and I can't imagine shops not filling your tanks. But then again, I have seen many situations where the laws discourage private ownership of things and benefit businesses by creating a situation where they can charge ridiculous amounts.

I pay about 700 yen to fill my tank. That's probably quite cheap as we know the owner very well. Other shops probably charge 1000-1200. My mate rents his tanks to his students for 1500 yen. I've never asked but I should imagine just renting a tank in a shop would probably be around the 2000 yen mark.
2 boat dives in Sasebo using their tanks is around 12,000 yen if I remember correctly.

By the way - if you go to dive in North Yamaguchi in Omi-shima, there's actually a guy with a compressor that fills tanks at the back of the beach.....your tanks! Although I only got around 190 Bar from him. He wasn't so expensive either, but I don't remember how much.

Thanks. I guess I am getting a fair deal. I am still shocked at how expensive everything associated with diving here is. I live on an island (the large one shaped like a giant goldfish on the southeast side) and there are some ok beach dives here. I just wish I could do several dives a day without spending a fortune.

Kim:
By the way - if you go to dive in North Yamaguchi in Omi-shima, there's actually a guy with a compressor that fills tanks at the back of the beach.....your tanks! Although I only got around 190 Bar from him. He wasn't so expensive either, but I don't remember how much.

How about air quality? Is it a reliable?

What kind of scuba air regulation is there in Japan?

Thanks in advance,:D

hoosier:
How about air quality? Is it a reliable?

What kind of scuba air regulation is there in Japan?

Thanks in advance,:D
Yes it's fine. I don't know the exact regulations in japan, but they're pretty strict about stuff AFAIK. I believe Jagfish has his own compressor setup (or access to one or something) up near Tokyo. He'll probably know the answer to that....or TJO. When either of them sees this thread I expect they'll post the answer.

For the US military down here (and those with access to base) the air fills are free and the tanks are about $2 each to rent. EAN is $5 per fill although if you get a fill card at some bases the price can come down to $3...

Jeez, wish I was on Okinawa honto, I'm in Miyako and I was just flat out told that I can't rent tanks. Means spending 8000 yen for two tanks and a boat ride if I want to dive. Apparently there are only two businesses here that rent out tanks--the dive shops (illegal and legal ones) have apparently told them not to rent out tanks to anyone other than the island dive shops. If anyone knows differently for Miyako, I'd love to hear it. It'd be great to just get a tank and make an afternoon beach dive rather than wait for the weekend, spend the extra money and all that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom